Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wiring Issue + How much do BT charge for rewiring

This is a discussion on Wiring Issue + How much do BT charge for rewiring within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have been having problems with disconections/low SNR and high errors on the line since I joined Sky max. After ...

mofinn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wiring Issue + How much do BT charge for rewiring

I have been having problems with disconections/low SNR and high errors on the line since I joined Sky max.
      After reading the useful information on this site I know the problems are not with Sky but my internal wiring

I checked all my filters , moved the router so I didnt have to use an extension
      but still had the problems
      Tracing the BT line back to where it enters the house there is no master socket but a small green box with GPO on it . It looks a complete mess with bits of wires sticking out , wires that dont appear to be connected to anything etc. From that box comes 2 cables that go to two extensions
      one downstairs and one in the bedroom.

I brought my laptop with me checking my SNR as I checked cables and noticed that when I opened the cupboard where the green box is my SNR dropped from 8 to 4 When I touched the box (just a light tap ) the SNR dropped to 0 . Also moving the cable that comes out of the green box knocked the phones off as well so I had to keep moving the cable until the phone came back on although there has been no issues with noise on the phone lines.

Obviously i have found the problem but a couple of questions

Who is responsible for the wiring in the old green GPO box
      If I get BT in the replace the wiring how much would it cost me

Many thanks

Mofinn

2. Advertisement
      edwardw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYDEW
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wiring Issue + How much do BT charge for rewiring

If your anywhere near me, ill do it for a lot cheaper than BT would, if not, get an electrician to do it, your not meant to but bt wouldnt know if you put an NTE5 on it!
      Connected @ 13mbit on SkyMAX

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

@mofinn

You clearly have a BT wiring problem and they will fix it for free. Phone them up, tell them you have a crackly line and that it is worse when you open your cupboard(!) - i.e. your socket is faulty. Don't say anything about broadband at all.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the offer edwardw I will do as Saturday says and give BT a ring to sort it out and then see if I can sell the old wiring system on Antiques Roadshow

Thanks again for the advice

Mo

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well i took Saturdays advice and rang BT with intermittant noise angle on the line - I was a bit concerned when they said if there was any evidence of DIY work they would charge me (we have lived here 15years and never done any work but the current extensions looked like they had been put in by a 2 fingered blind man)

anyway the BT man came today and did say normally they would charge us but because the wiring was so old he would replace it without charge
      He did say he couldnt wire up the upstaires extension but inserted an extra wire into the master socket (whoohoo I have a master socket) so I can do it myself .

Now when I pick the phones up the SNR doesnt drop by 4 , my downstream is 4064 which I dont think is too bad for an Attenuation of 57 , too early to test for errors on the line but i do notice pages load a hell of a lot quicker

I may later try to plug into the test socket to see if its worthwhile getting on of those master face plates but for now im more than happy

thanks for the advice

cheers

Mo