Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who's at fault here ?

This is a discussion on Who's at fault here ? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have posted this in the general section but in hindsight it sounds like more of a cabling/faceplate problem...... I ...

JamieBee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashford, Kent
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Who's at fault here ?

I have posted this in the general section but in hindsight it sounds like more of a cabling/faceplate problem......

I have been on the Connect package for about 2 months and my set up is as follows :

Master socket > extension cable > microfilter > sky, landline and router for xbox 360. Pc upstairs connects to router wirelessly.

Now up until the weekend before last the set up worked fine (barring the odd niggle here and there) but since Sunday before last the internet light on my router is flashing orange every 20 seconds or so and I am getting Error Code 300 when logging into router.

Called Sky and told it's a line fault and will get call in days. Call again - told another 3 days. Call again - told to plug router into master socket - no change. Then told problem will be logged with BT. Call again in 2 days as yet again I do not get a call. Told tonight to plug into my test socket - the internet light turns green and internet works albeit a bit slow some of the pages. When plugging into master socket or back into extension cable still will not work.

Sky then tell me it is down to ME to call BT and get them to come out and look at the wiring of my master socket (even though they supposedly logged problem with BT previously and didnt even tell me what result of that was). I ask Sky why after 2 months it would just stop working and very predictably I am told probably because I am using an extension cable.

I called BT who said they are BT retail and I need to go back to Sky and demand THEY contact BT wholesale and get it sorted.

I am stuck in the middle here and also very angry that 1) Sky keep telling me I will get a call and I never do and 2) I have had no internet for 9 days until today. It is physically impossible to leave my router into the master socket and has to go into the extension cable behind the TV, phone and xbox. Sky have mentioned this extension cable excuse before and if I knew this would be an issue I would never have signed up. My last ISP worked fine with this set up with 20 more a month.

Can anyone offer any advice/solutions ? Please ?

2. Advertisement
      jaytc2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lcath - Atherton
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Who's at fault here ?

from what you have said it is definately an internal problem with the wiring and not down to sky. BT will probably charge you to come out to sort it.
      you have though in effect answered your own question as from what you have posted the problem lies within the master socket faceplate

you say it works in the test socket so you know the wiring from the telephone exchange to your property is okay, however if you plug it into the master it stops working. So there is your problem. A replacement faceplate should sort out the problem from what you have said (Not a filtered faceplate as the extension lead will not have the adsl signal).

Good luck

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaytc2003 View Post
      from what you have said it is definately an internal problem with the wiring and not down to sky. BT will probably charge you to come out to sort it.
      you have though in effect answered your own question as from what you have posted the problem lies within the master socket faceplate

you say it works in the test socket so you know the wiring from the telephone exchange to your property is okay, however if you plug it into the master it stops working. So there is your problem. A replacement faceplate should sort out the problem from what you have said (Not a filtered faceplate as the extension lead will not have the adsl signal).

Good luck
      I just do not understand why it would stop working all of a sudden. One day it is fine and the next I get a flashing orange light on the router. How much is a new faceplate ? Can anyone recommend one ? Are they easy to fit ?

I will have a look around on these forums for one in the meantime.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am confused by this.

If I buy a new faceplate would I buy one that has 2 inputs - one for phone line and other for ADSL ? If so, that would not work as the sky box, landline and xbox are all too far away to reach. This is why I am having to use a lead from the master socket to where the tv, sky box and xbox are.

I do get a whistling/hissing sound when I am on the telephone so with that and the broadband problem would it not be down to BT to come out and fix this problem if it is a wiring issue ?

Also if it is a wiring issue then would my landline be down also as it still works ok ?
      Last edited by JamieBee; 22-05-07 at 12:45 PM.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

voice and adsl basically work on different frequencies so you can in effect be okay on one and not the other. However now that you have mentioned that the phone line is noisy, then if you contct bt and tell them your line is noisy (do not mention broadband or you wil be fobbed off) then they should sort that out for you. I had a problem with a phone line years ago in when I got a voice call I would loose my adsl sync, took a good few weeks to sort out, turned out to be a dry joint in one of the cabinets, however what you have said points to the faceplate.
      The faceplates are very easy to install, usually it is just 2 screws. The ones you have seen with the 2 inputs are probably filtered plates from the likes of adslnation which will be no good if you leave you set up as is.

By the way do you have the same problem with just the router connected to the extension on its own? Sky boxes are known to interfere with adsl even when plugged into a filter

Sky TV:
      Thanks

meant to add, bt usually charge for wiring that isnt on their side, basically from the master socket in your house is classed as your wiring and they can and do charge for sorting this.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaytc2003 View Post
      voice and adsl basically work on different frequencies so you can in effect be okay on one and not the other. However now that you have mentioned that the phone line is noisy, then if you contct bt and tell them your line is noisy (do not mention broadband or you wil be fobbed off) then they should sort that out for you. I had a problem with a phone line years ago in when I got a voice call I would loose my adsl sync, took a good few weeks to sort out, turned out to be a dry joint in one of the cabinets, however what you have said points to the faceplate.
      The faceplates are very easy to install, usually it is just 2 screws. The ones you have seen with the 2 inputs are probably filtered plates from the likes of adslnation which will be no good if you leave you set up as is.

By the way do you have the same problem with just the router connected to the extension on its own? Sky boxes are known to interfere with adsl even when plugged into a filter

By process of elimination I have found out the only way I can get an adsl signal is to have router plugged into the TEST socket behind the master socket. Plugged into master socket will not work at all. Why this would suddenly stop working overnight is beyond me but anyway......the different coloured wires numbered 1 to 6 that go into the master socket faceplate are connected to a wire that runs up the stairs to a second socket on the landing which I only use for a 2nd sky box so based on that, the problem is simply being caused by the plastic connector on the back of the faceplate that goes into the test socket. Does this sound reasonable ? I am having to have the faceplate dangling down on the floor not screwed in and the extension cable plugged into the test socket for it to work (with a puppy roaming the house this is not ideal). Does this mean I have to buy a new faceplate or can I repair the current one ?

One other thing - last night from doing all of these tests the leads were being plugged and unplugged from routers, master sockets and test sockets over and over again for about an hour. Since this (although I am getting a signal) I am only achieving a download speed of around 665 kbps when previously I was getting around 2 meg. Why might this be ? I am plugged straight into the test socket now after all.

My stats are as follows :

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3360 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.8 db 17.0 db

Advice anyone would be greatly appreciated ?

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

1. ADSL NAtion provide a face plate that allows you to connect your router and phone to two seperate ports on the front OR have two wiring systems going, one to an ADSL extension and one to your phones. This means that your ADSL is for the router (You can buy a router extension from Clarity) and one for all the phones. the phones therefore do not need filters as they have been filtered at the master socket. This can (but MAY NOT) stop the whistling on the phones.

2. Your donwload speed has adjusted as BTs systems have (incorrectly) sussed tha tthere is a problem with your line running at the speed. this problem has been simulated by you continually plugging and unplugging the line. I beleive if this happens 3 or more times in an hour it logs it. You now have a three day wait period then it will recover. (My ttimings may be wrong but it is something like that.

A little diagram of the wiring tha tmay help.

NB: Some filter faceplates do not allow the adding on of extensions for unfiltered ADSL lines. this does (I am sure there are many more but I purchased the BT ADSL extension from Clarity :: ADSL Extensions and the faceplate from ADSL Nation On-Line Shop see ADSL Nation On-Line Shop for the diagrams.

XTE is for ADSL 2+ NTE is for the older broadband.

------
      Advice given is on good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

your best bet is to either buy a standard faceplate (taking into consideration your setup) or if you buy a filtered faceplate from the likes of adsl nation, go for one that allows you to wire up the extension unfiltered

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Right, at least now I probably know what has caused the drastic drop in download speed of the line. Hopefully that will improve over the next few days.

On the wiring issue - when I use the telephone I would say it is more of a buzzing sound in the background when I use it. The phone is obviously usable it is more of an annoyance thats all. Could a sky box being plugged into the same adaptor be causing the noise or could it be the phone ? Would BT come out and fix this free of charge ?

I take what people say about not using extension cables and extending the lead from the router to the master socket to get the best performance but because of where the tv, sky and xbox I am happy with the fact with an extension lead tacked along the top of the porch and then along the skirting board up to the microfilter. How much would a new non filtered faceplate cost ? Would this be my best bet or phoning BT for someone to look at wiring ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast