Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Master Socket Woes, Sync,

This is a discussion on Master Socket Woes, Sync, within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; RECAP I was previously syncing at around 9000 with an attenuation of 36 and SNR of 7. I did not ...

nicke1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Albans
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Master Socket Woes, Sync,

RECAP

I was previously syncing at around 9000 with an attenuation of 36 and SNR of 7. I did not have a NTE5 socket, rather the older socket.

I believe I should sync at approx 13,000 to 14,000.

I managed to get a BT engineer cause I thought I had some intermittment noise on the line

(this posted in another thread on Speed sub-forum but I'm not creating a new post here since I have a different issue)

WHAT HAPPENED

BT came this morning and the following happened:

Some of the wiring appeared to be dubious (a split which had been taped) so the engineer put in a new BT socket.

Rather than rewiring the outside of the building though, he put the socket in my living room where the Sky satellite cables come through the wall. I suppose this has gained me an extra socket.

The old socket in the hall he connected into the master socket so it serves as an extension. The Sky telephone connections he seemed to have also wired into the Master socket.

RESULTS

After reconnecting my router (either to the extension or into the front of the Master socket) synced at 5615 a drop of 4000. I suspected this was down to how he'd wired it all up.

If I connect to the test socket my router now syncs at 10245 an increase of approx 1100 from the exercise. Attenuation of 36 and noise of 7.

QUESTIONS

1. See the attached photo which shows the wiring. Clearly I cannot live with the faceplate off to be permanently connected to the test socket. I guess I should probably get a new faceplate so the extension can be wired properly. Any advice?

2. Will a new faceplate give any additional speed over going direct to the test socket?

3. I'm still connecting aprox 3500 lower than what I think I should given my attenuation. Could the router itself be the problem? is it worth the hassle trying to get Sky to send a replacement?

4. How does the wiring look he's done? any obvious problems? Will it be easy for me to convert this if I get a new faceplate?

5. Would it cause a problem running, as he's done, the phone cable next to the Sky cables and through the well?

6. Is it worth me chasing the extra damn 3500? I'm now starting to wonder whether the effort/reward is too great.

Any comments greatly appreciated!!!

Many thanks
      Nick
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Master Socket Woes, Sync,-bt-001.jpg  

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Master Socket Woes, Sync,

that all looks fine, you just need to buy a new faceplate which does the filtering for you (from adslnation).

ADSL Nation - XTE-2005 - Filtered Master Faceplate

PS post your router stats whilst connected to teh test socket.

an attenuation of 36 should give 8 to 12 Mb.

tdbsolutions is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I might be wrong but is the orange bell/ring wire connected ???

I thought this should be disconnected.
      One day you are the pigeon, but most days just the statue ...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tdbsolutions View Post
      I might be wrong but is the orange bell/ring wire connected ???

I thought this should be disconnected.
      I don't think is serves a purpose as long as you haven't got a phone that's over 20 odd years old.

Some people have had better performance disconnecting it. For some it makes no difference if it is or isn;t connected.

tdbsolutions is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Now he tells me after I nearly broke my back today trying to get to the BT socket, only to find mine wasn't connected anyway
      One day you are the pigeon, but most days just the statue ...

Thanks

As requested my current detailed stats are shown below. (note sync is lower now since I rebooted at SNR low point 6.4 last night)

XTE-2005 ordered. I believe these are back in stock around 24 May. I will probably need some help when it arrives to figure out how to wire-up!!!

Any comments on the questions I raised in the first post?

Thanks
      Nick

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 764 Kbps, Downstream rate = 9419 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: ADSL2+
      Channel: Fast
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 8.8 11.5
      Attn(dB): 36.0 22.5
      Pwr(dBm): 1.3 12.4
      Max(Kbps): 9584 864
      Rate (Kbps): 9419 764
      G.dmt framing
      K: 245(0) 24
      R: 10 16
      S: 1 8
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 72 68
      B: 244 23
      M: 1 8
      T: 1 1
      R: 10 16
      S: 0.8289 7.7037
      L: 2461 216
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 3532036 3532034
      SFErr: 6658 2
      RS: 275498816 30022289
      RSCorr: 17550390 24
      RSUnCorr: 26287 0

HEC: 5434 2
      OCD: 0 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 1268317280 102879464
      Data Cells: 9754691 9016368
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 1042 2
      SES: 153 0
      UAS: 14 16
      Total time = 15 hours 51 min 52 sec
      SF = 3532036
      CRC = 6658
      LOS = 70
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1042
      Latest 1 day time = 15 hours 51 min 52 sec
      SF = 3532036
      CRC = 6658
      LOS = 70
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1042
      Latest 15 minutes time = 6 min 52 sec
      SF = 25546
      CRC = 1
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 2
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55667
      CRC = 11
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 7
      Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
      SF = 0
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55667
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55668
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 55729
      CRC = 3
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 0
      ES = 4

Exchange:
      Thanks

1. See the attached photo which shows the wiring. Clearly I cannot live with the faceplate off to be permanently connected to the test socket. I guess I should probably get a new faceplate so the extension can be wired properly. Any advice?

***As per post to get filtered faceplate

2. Will a new faceplate give any additional speed over going direct to the test socket?

***Probably not

3. I'm still connecting aprox 3500 lower than what I think I should given my attenuation. Could the router itself be the problem? is it worth the hassle trying to get Sky to send a replacement?

*** As per post above, the rate for an attenuation of 36db is 8Mb to 12Mb so you are within that and looks correct. No new router needed.

*** As per post above.

4. How does the wiring look he's done? any obvious problems? Will it be easy for me to convert this if I get a new faceplate?

*** Difficult to see exactly what wires are connected where from the photo, perhaps you could describe it.

5. Would it cause a problem running, as he's done, the phone cable next to the Sky cables and through the well?

*** The (what appears) 2 extension wiring that is connected is added interference which degrades the signal. This is your own internal wiring and not a BT or SKY problem. The new filtered faceplate filters the ADSL signal before the extension wiring kicks in so gets around poor internal wiring.

6. Is it worth me chasing the extra damn 3500? I'm now starting to wonder whether the effort/reward is too great.

*** No because you are synching within tolerance. If you rebooted during the day and used mognuts utility to reduce the SNR, then you'd get 12Mb (or even more), but you'd have an unstable line and probably an unusable line as you moved into the evening. As long as you have a stable line above 8Mb, you should be happy.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply reddwarfcrew.

I've got an XTE-2005 on order, hopefully will be delivered around 26th May. In the meantime I'll continue to connect to the test socket. I'll try and get some clearer shots of the wiring and describe what I think it's doing.

The only thing still puzzling me is the wide spread of sync speeds that people seem to get given a certain attenuation.

For example with my attenuation of 36 I can see on this forum others connecting around 12mbps or higher.

When my SNR is at its highest, usually in the morning, my max sync is 10mbps hence my question on whether the router could be at fault. I've pretty much done all I can to reduce noise on my line, I can't hear any noise using the phone and am connecting to the test socket.

Cheers
      Nick

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

I would disconnect any wires that AREN'T 2 or 5. Secondly, if i'm reading this correctly, the BT guy has kept your old master socket and run it from your new NTE5 socket? If so it means you have 2 master sockets on the one line - this could be responsible for your drop in sync rate when the faceplate is reattached - thus linking to the additional master socket and I believe, your extension wiring to your router. If disonnecting the additional wires does not do the trick, i'd take a look at your old (master) socket, if it is indeed a master running from your new master, I would look to replace it with a slave or extension box.
      The reason being, master boxes contain additional componants, and I believe you are only meant to have one per line.