Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will installing NTE5 socket improve things?

This is a discussion on Will installing NTE5 socket improve things? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi chaps, I have an old style BT master socket with a non hard-wired phone extension. My router is then ...

ANDREWGEORGE404 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Altrincham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Will installing NTE5 socket improve things?

Hi chaps,
      I have an old style BT master socket with a non hard-wired phone extension. My router is then plugged into this via a microifilter. All I wanted to know is, will fitting an NTE5 master socket with faceplate improve my connection speeds? My line attenuation is absolutely rubbish (63.5), I think my local exchange is on Mars. I'm clutching at straws for more speed!!
      Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

Re: Will installing NTE5 socket improve things?

Hi Andrew,

I too had an old style Bt socket, and *might* have changed it to an NTE5 master socket - there were minimal improvements - really nothing major. Have you tried the other tips for speed - disconnecting all wires other than 2 & 5? - When on Virgin, just before migration, I disconnected wire 3 (and 4 i think) and my connection speed went from 1.5 meg up to 5.5 meg - unfortunately the Bras profile was still set at 1.5meg though! Thankfully now on Sky mid and sync at just under 8 meg!
      I hope you have some luck in your quest for speed - att of 63.5 is quite high though!

good luck

ANDREWGEORGE404 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Altrincham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I already have only wires 2 and five connected. However, you have me thinking now. There are another 2 wires (green and black) which are not plugged into my master stocket but are connected to an old Cable and Wireless socket. I wonder if disconnecting those from the redundant socket may help? DEFINATELY clutching at straws now. I suppose I can live with a sync speed of 1.6 meg. May have to look for new houses next to the exchange!!

Thanks,
      Andy.

PS I am only joking about moving, I'm not THAT obsessed with it

jayhab is offline Site Content Team
      Exchange: Connah's Quay
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: not any more!
      Thanks

a redundant socket? if it's not used at all, i'd disconnect it (and any other sockets that are not needed - the more extensions you have, the more cable for the signal to loose strength on - if it's not needed - disconnect it!

and what's wrong with moving house to get a better connection speed?

good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

ricopico is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wolverton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: TL-WR1043ND (Open-WRT)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Hello,
      I replaced my wall socket for an NTE5 in quest of a better line, it made no diference, I did have a 63.5db attenuation, and was connecting at ~244k down speed. ( I was desparate ).

I also changed the drop cable to cat5 incase there were any noise issues from the line coming into the house, no change yet again.

In the end, I phoned BT and moaned about the sound quality on the line, BT man came over and said he could hear to noises on the line too, and he replaced the line from the exchange to the green box.

I now have a nicer line, with 57.5db attenuation! yay!
      Same tel number, same exchange, just takes a different route to exchange, the BT engineer guy said its 2km difference.

Maybe would be a good idea to try BT instead of sky tech support.

Oh - BTW, its somewhat considered bad to replace drop cables and master sockets, - because I did such a great job, the BT engineer didnt even notice, but I was sweating a bit when he was inspecting the line!