Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Noisy phone line

This is a discussion on Noisy phone line within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone - this is my first post, so please be gentle with me! My wife and I have recently ...

Whitty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Noisy phone line

Hi everyone - this is my first post, so please be gentle with me!

My wife and I have recently changed broadband provider from Plusnet (who we were very happy with) to Sky Mid, at a cost of 5pm. Ever since we changed over, our BT telephone line has been really noisy - we're experiencing a loud 'buzzing' noise when we make/receive calls.

Four BT engineers investigated the problem and the last one said that it was a fault at the exchange, caused by the Sky broadband equipment. BT has told us that it has sent an e-mail to Sky, giving them 48hrs to resolve the problem, otherwise it would change our line to phone calls only, which would cure the buzzing noise, but disconnect our internet access.

This morning, the buzzing our phone line disappeared but we lost our internet access. BT had obviously transferred our phone line to phone calls only. However, this evening, our internet acces was restored but the buzzing noise on the phone line came back!

BT have now said that our internal equipment that could be the problem, although the 4 BT engineers have all said otherwise.

Does anyone know what we should do now?!

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to get this off my chest!

Hope you can help me....?

2. Advertisement
      Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Noisy phone line

Have you tried the test socket on the BT master? (assuming you have a fairly modern NTE5 master with a removable faceplate)

That would help rule out/in whether your own phone wiring is at fault.

There's also a "quiet line test" you could try I think... not sure how though, although it popped up in a thread recently so should show up in a search.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi Tezcatlipoca - yes, I have aleady tried your suggestion, but the problem still exists!

Thanks for your help.

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Definitely tried the test socket?

(sorry, sometimes people just try the master, not realising the test socket is behind the faceplate).

The test socket bypasses all the extension wiring etc... if it still does it with that being used, then it sounds like the problem isn't at your end.

Different microfilter perhaps? Just in case.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes, I've unscrewed the faceplate and tried the test socket (as suggested by BT), but the problem still exists.

Funny you should mention the filter, but BT suggested that if I try a corded phone (we have hands free phones) and there is still a buzzing noise, then we should contact Sky to get a new filter, which could be causing the problem.

Will getting a new filter from Sky resolve the problem and will they charge us for it? If so, why should we pay?!

mrmt32 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: West Malling
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

If it's happening when a phone is plugged directly into the test socket (without a filter) then it can't be the filter at fault. It has to be either somthing at the exchange (either BT or sky's problem depending on whose equipment is causing it) or somthing inbetween (BT's problem).

Also a post about the "Quiet Line Test" is Here.
      Last edited by mrmt32; 20-04-07 at 11:38 PM.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks mrmt32 - I'll give it a go and see what the results are.

Hopefully, we'll get it sorted - and soon!

I'll let you know what happens.

markaudio is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Merthyr Tydfil
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey,
      The same thing happened to me. From the moment I was connected to sky BB my phone line became very noisy.

No problems in the past with other providers?

I'm putting up with it for now as I'm still waiting for Sky to put me on ADSL2 as I agreed to when I signed up. My exchange is enabled, They said I could have it, but I'm on that GM thingy & interleaved.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, here's the latest. I've spoken to Sky, who appear to have washed their hands of the matter - their view is that BT have prepared the line for Broadband and BT have the power to activate/de-activate our Broadband. They've insisted they I refer the matter to BT.

BT have run tests but there now appears to be no faults on the line or at the exchange, but when I spoke to them on Saturday, they said they'd refer it to another engineer (the fifth one we've had).

I've tried the test socket behind the facelet, but we still have the noise (it's like a buzzing sound). I've tried the 'silent line' test, but the noise is still there.

markaudio - our previous Broadband provider was Plusnet, and we had no problems with the phone line at all.

I'm waiting to see what BT say, but I'm beginning to get a little frustrated!

Any ideas anyone?

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

It all sounds strangely familiar. I was connected to Sky Max on a Monday and, at the same time, gained a massively "noisy" voice line which also dropped incoming calls. BT diverted calls to my mobile although we could still dial out - hearing each other was a problem but it was cheaper than using the mobile. In the meantime the broadband connection was perfect. Two WEEKS later, BT informed me that the voice line was fixed. Which it was, but they'd disconnected broadband. A call to faults got a very snotty response that it was now an ISP fault and that I should call Sky, but a further four days later I got an apologetic call from an engineer who'd kept looking. I don't remember his exact wording but think he said he'd found a "bad connection" at the exchange. I now have crystal clear voice and no problem with data. Hang in there, odds on your problem is at the exchange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast