Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Noisy phone line

This is a discussion on Noisy phone line within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If this has only started happening since you moved to Sky BB then it's most likely to be one of ...

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Noisy phone line

If this has only started happening since you moved to Sky BB then it's most likely to be one of two things:
      1. The Sky BB Box / router
      2. Sky Exchange equipment

You can eliminate the BB box by connecting up your modem/router from DSL ISP. Even though it won't authorise, it will sync which is good enough for this test. No noise = BB Box fault which needs replacing.

If the noise is still present then it's most likely a fault with the ties you're on at the exchange. The usual procedure is for Sky to report it to BT so many times and then you get moved to a new set of ties once BT confirm them faulty.

If the noise wasn't there with your old ISP then there's little point faffing around with your own internal wiring which won't have changed.

2. Advertisement
      greenglide is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bedlington
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I know this is a daft question but when connecting the phone directly to the test socket you are using a microfilter arent you? You can't (shouldn't)connect a phone DIRECTLY into the test socket or any other unfiltered socket.

MrStabby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by greenglide View Post
      I know this is a daft question but when connecting the phone directly to the test socket you are using a microfilter arent you? You can't (shouldn't)connect a phone DIRECTLY into the test socket or any other unfiltered socket.
      Yes, you'll need to use a microfilter.

tequilacrush is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haslington / Crewe
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Until yesterday I had a noisy phone line, which alternated between mildly irritating to totally unusable. It always got worse towards the end of the day, and occasionally meant that I couldn't even use my internet. BT would always say that the line was noise free, even though I knew it wasn't.

My top downstream connection never went above 6000kbps and my noise margins on downloads regularly went below 5dB. It was only Mossywell's 'Bounce Sky Router' that kept me sane by allowing me to increase my dB but with a lower download speed.

But a call to BT by insisting that there was a problem with my voice calls (I never mentioned broadband once) meant that they actually came out and they found a fault with the line outside my house which was causing the noise.

The net result is a full 8 meg download at last! And a reasonable noise dB in the evening too, and I've not had to reboot my router since... so if anyone's had the same problems as me then make sure you call BT to rule out any line problems which are outside your house first.

My current stats:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41.0 db 26.0 db
      Noise Margin 10.9 db 14.0 db

SKEET!! is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Openreach ADSL Engineer
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Some Cordless phones, can end up sounding "Tinny" on ADSL circuits...don't ask me why...they just do!

But the main problem with Noise, is when you can "hear" the ADSL.

This is best described as "SHHHHHHHHHHHH" in the background and can vary from minor to extreme.

In your case, it would seem likely that this is a problem, since you migrated from BTW (BT Wholesale) exchange equipment, to SKY equipment.

The SKY Equipment is connected to what is know as a TAM...and this can cause the problem you describe.

Usually...any noise like that, is caused by either;

a) Faulty Filters
      b) An "HR Diss" or High Resistance disconnection. This can be on internal or external wiring and is usually a corroded or broken, but intact conductor.

Best way to decide, is to take a corded phone...plug it into the test socket behind the NTE5...noise? No...ok...then plug in a filter and plug the phone into that...then, with your router or modem DSL lead in hand, listen to the line...you can remove the dial tone by pressing a button...then plug in the DSL lead.

You may hear the modem "dial", which sounds like a FAX machine, then the "SHHHHHHHH" noise as the line syncs up.

Hope that helps.

First post by the way! Greetings all

As my profile states, I am an Openreach (BT) Special Faults Broadband Engineer, so any questions you may have, feel free to ask.

Are there any other ADSL engineers on here?

greyrider is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

What, you want to get inundated with "my line won't synch whenever I plug in my toaster" questions?
      Just curious, if you're not with Sky then why become active in this forum?

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Probably the same reason I visit the forum.....it's very interesting, a very well put together site and it's good crack.

tommy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wythenshawe
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thankyou SKEET, this site is fantastic, i visit two or three times daily to see what the next query is going to be,the founder of this site has enabled people like myself to learn how to go about rewiring extensions etc, and your valuable expertise will benefit many others im sure, like many members here you will be giving very good advice, thanks.

JED
      JED is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GEDLING
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Message for SKEET.

Hi SKEET - I wonder if you could offer me any advice please? I have been on Sky MAX since March and before that was with another ISP. With both ISPs I have always noticed noise on the line - sometimes it is not there, but other times the phone is practically unuseable. I have noticed that unplugging the router sometimes gets rid of the noise too? I have tried many tests - plugging a cabled phone into the master socket (which sometimes does reduce the problem) but the other day I noticed that whenever the phone is picked up or rings, the router loses its connection? My attenuation is always around the 45 to 47dB mark but before getting the service capped at 4096kbps, the best I could see was around 2Mbps? The noise margin is usually around the 15dB mark (suggesting to me that I could get a higher speed than 4096) but as soon as the phone is answered it drops to below 5dB and then disconnects.

I have tried a few filters - could it be that they are just ALL faulty? I am debating buying an ADSL nation filtered face plate - do you think this would get rid of the noise and give me potentially an increase in speed?

Any comments would really help me out - I am dubious about calling BT out if they say there is no fault?

379850 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds very familiar...

About 6 months ago voice line suddenly went very noisy and internet kept dropping before failing all-together after about 1 day of problems.

BT (voice) attended and diagnosed either water ingress or loose connection at telegraph pole (pretty sure it was the latter) - fixed and all was well again.

Anyway about 6 weeks ago we started to hear similar noise and have similar problems holding a BB sync.

Thought oh well, it's happened again (albeit intermittantly) may as well let it fail completely - the response is just as quick.

However, it dragged on for a few weeks so we reported to ISP who after the usual self-help instructed BTOp to attend. Engineer said (from description of symptoms - i.e. all internal equipment swapped out with known good items and directly onto test socket) he suspected HRDiss (wasn't entirely sure what he meant at time) on line and he replaced a JB boutside between property and telegraph pole. Said we wouldn't see improvement to speed until about 3 days stable uptime so we let him go. Half an hour later the incessant re-syncs started up again with noise on line.

The test below pretty much sums up the problem - phone alone (in NTE5 test port) = silence.
      Microfilter with phone = silence, plug in router = eeek eeek eeek zzzzzzzzz zzzzz (negotiating) then ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (synced)

Engineer mentioned that when the line has such a fault, the modem will ramp up it's power to try and compensate for poor line and it is this that overpowers the exchange end filters and thus, noise appears on the voice line - does that sound about right??

Any input appreciated

[QUOTE=SKEET!!;70026]But the main problem with Noise, is when you can "hear" the ADSL.

This is best described as "SHHHHHHHHHHHH" in the background and can vary from minor to extreme.

<snip>

Usually...any noise like that, is caused by either;

a) Faulty Filters
      b) An "HR Diss" or High Resistance disconnection. This can be on internal or external wiring and is usually a corroded or broken, but intact conductor.

Best way to decide, is to take a corded phone...plug it into the test socket behind the NTE5...noise? No...ok...then plug in a filter and plug the phone into that...then, with your router or modem DSL lead in hand, listen to the line...you can remove the dial tone by pressing a button...then plug in the DSL lead.

You may hear the modem "dial", which sounds like a FAX machine, then the "SHHHHHHHH" noise as the line syncs up.

QUOTE]

PS. we used to connect fine at about 7Mbps and get 6ish throughput. was reported when we realised we were still connecting at 5+ but was very slow and then discovered line rate have been hacked back to 135Kbps by the incessant re-syncs / errors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12