Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Flummoxed at speeds from NTE-2005, Austin Taylor, and direct to behind Master

This is a discussion on Flummoxed at speeds from NTE-2005, Austin Taylor, and direct to behind Master within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Since having Sky broadband (mid) activated on 02/04, I've experimented with different connections. 1. Using extension socket in study upstairs, ...

simon1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Flummoxed at speeds from NTE-2005, Austin Taylor, and direct to behind Master

Since having Sky broadband (mid) activated on 02/04, I've experimented with different connections.

1. Using extension socket in study upstairs, I was getting connection speed of 2612.

2. Tried connecting directly to hidden socket on Master downstairs and got 2748. So not much wrong with internal wiring then.

3. Bought an Austin Taylor ADSL NTE splitter and speed went up massively to 6208. I connected the extension socket upstairs to the unfiltered connections on the back of this and was still getting a similar speeds upstairs. FANTASTIC!!

4. Because I'm a fussy so-and-so, I wasn't keen on the Austin Taylor - It was more like off-white, than brilliant white in colour. Also, I found the top of it didn't quite sit flush with the BT master socket. Plus, I'd damaged the screw holes by trying to force screws through that were too big!

5. I bought the NTE-2005 from adsl nation in preference to the XTE-2005, as I preffered the look of this (the style of the XTE-2005 was similar to the Austin Taylor - which I wasn't fond of).

6. After connected the NTE-2005, I was dismayed to find the router was reporting a connection speed of around 2612 - the same as using the crappy plug in filters! This is when connecting directly into it, with no other wiring involved!!!

How can the NTE-2005 be this bad? In fact, it's no help at all.

Have I got a faulty one? I'd prefer to stick with the NTE-2005 because of it's style. But not at the expense of this connection speed.

2. Advertisement
      adslnation is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Headington, Oxford
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Flummoxed at speeds from NTE-2005, Austin Taylor, and direct to behind Master

There must be a serious problem with your line.

When you connect the router to the test socket that is the best you should get. As the job of a filter is simply to stop the ADSL signal reaching the telephone equipment. Without any phone equipment connected, i.e using the test socket a filter becomes irrelevant as it has no task to perform.

If you genuinely get a faster speed connection using the Austin Taylor faceplate, as opposed to a screwy reading that Netgear routers are so fond of giving then that indicates that the load put on the line by the Austin Taylor faceplate is somehow masking a fault on the line such as a HR leg.

Unlike the XTE-2005 the NTE-2005 is not our design it is made by Pressac an official supplier to BT and the faceplate was designed to a specification issued by BT. The NTE-2005 in our experience has always given better results than the Austin Taylor faceplate on a properly working line, so you must have a line fault.
      adslnation