Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cabling Still Noisy!!

This is a discussion on Cabling Still Noisy!! within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I finally decided to strip down the house extension wiring today. It now stands like this: From the pole the ...

bobbyrabbit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham, Carfax
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Cabling Still Noisy!!

I finally decided to strip down the house extension wiring today.

It now stands like this:
      From the pole the wire goes into a brown box, this has 2 leads coming out, both go into the loft. One of the leads, which used to extend to the rear of the house to another brown box I have now cut and directed through the bedroom ceiling to a new BT Master Box and ADSL NAtion Faceplate. (Yes I know I shouldn't have done that!!!) This lead used to run about 4 or 5 extensions to the back end of the house and these were never used. The 2nd lead runs a couple of unused extensions upstairs, ringwire is off all extensions.

So I now have the most direct route possible, my stats have gone from

39db to 38db downstream
      and SNR downstream averages around a gain of 9.9db to 10.9db

I am still receiving quite a few CRC errors, and am also getting between 3db and 4db drop in the evening, so I guess the problem is with the ancient brown box on the front of the house, which is very difficult to reach. Would disconnecting the 2nd lead cut down any problems?

Would you say the improvement I've gained is what I should expect or should SNR been better?
      Last edited by bobbyrabbit; 13-04-07 at 08:23 PM.

2. Advertisement
      sky43389 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02085
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Cabling Still Noisy!!

Um hard to say i would say yes it should have been better, but i wouldnt advise you to cut any wires as i would get blamed if i was wrong, but i believe it may help

bobbyrabbit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham, Carfax
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q Silver
      Thanks

Re: Cabling Still Noisy!!

I cut the 2nd wire as it really was not needed anymore. Unfortunately no change to the SNR and still quite a few CRC errors.

Is it natural for me to see a few CRC errors even with an attenuation of 38db or in a perfect world should I not see any at all?

I guess the problem is in the brown box, maybe the connections are corroded. If its anything like the brown box at the rear of the house its just a housing with wires being connected by gel connectors. There is no way I can reach the front brown housing box to check the connections as a standard ladder wouldn't get me near enough due to a front slanted tiled porch below the connections.

I suppose I've done all I can