Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extending Drop Wire

This is a discussion on Extending Drop Wire within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, just had to join when I saw this great site after joining sky max. I am like a ...

sunnyz1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scotstoun
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Extending Drop Wire

Hi everyone, just had to join when I saw this great site after joining sky max. I am like a lot of you who wants to get the most out of his broadband connection. I have a few questions and could not find the answer.

1) I'm assuming the drop wire is made up of two wires (possibly four but other two might be for 2nd line) and they run at 48v, is this correct?
      2) I wanted to extend my drop cable at junction box outside and run it to closest room since my existing internal wiring is very old, hardwired converted to pstn. What would be the best cable to use?
      3) I also assume that if the two wires from drop cable were connected directly to a nte5 socket. This would be fine or is there some device that runs between drop wire and master socket.

All your help will be gladly appreciated. I know this might be frowned upon but there doesnt seem much to it and BT prices are sky high.

After I have done this I will definitely post results to show how much of an improvement I got if any.

Thanks

Sunny

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Extending Drop Wire

Hi Sunny
      1 Not sure about this
      2 It is illegal to modify your drop cable bt have to do it
      3 As above

However, there is nothing to stop you running a dedicated cat5e cable from your master socket to the socket you use for your router. This is what I have done with excellent results
      cheers
      dave

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I do realise this may be illegal but I cant afford to pay BT to do this therefore I would like to do it myself if possible. I am already using my test socket with not good results. The main reason I am doing this is to bypass 40metres of 20 year old internal cable running to the master socket.

Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Sunny

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I cant condone you doing something illegal and I am sure this site wont either. However there are ways round this ? 40 metres seems a long way to the master socket you must live in a manchion - lol. Does the drop cable run around the outside of the house ? You could try getting bt to replace the drop cable by reporting noise on your phone line, dont mention bb. My drop cable was corroded where it was clipped to the outside of the house and they replaced it and put a new master socket in. Maybe yours is the same ? Get my drift ?

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The cable itself goes straight in the wall and under floorboards etc. Cant see it in house anywhere apart from beside master socket. The bt drop wire was installed 2 months ago and connected to the old wiring. They're the ones that told me it was 40m using their equipment so theres only 10cm of old cable visible outside which looks okay before it dissapears in the wall. I cant see any other method at the moment.

Sunny

paulydee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Weston Favell
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyz1 View Post
      The cable itself goes straight in the wall and under floorboards etc. Cant see it in house anywhere apart from beside master socket. The bt drop wire was installed 2 months ago and connected to the old wiring. They're the ones that told me it was 40m using their equipment so theres only 10cm of old cable visible outside which looks okay before it dissapears in the wall. I cant see any other method at the moment.

Sunny
      Or, in my case which is similar, i want to run an extension from the master socket back through the wall, around the outside of the house, and in the opposite end of the house as the pc and master socket are about as far apart from each other as they can get?!
      It would be a whole lot easier to wire this extension externally rather than internally, as there's several rooms and half a flight of stairs to negotiate.

Is there a cable of sufficient quality and environmentally resistant to use for external wiring? I've scoured the web but can't find anything that specifies it is suitable for outdoor use AND broadband/networking.

Please help!

spike7451 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Donaghadee
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The is but it's not available to the public.Best bet is stop a NTL crew & ask for a bit of Siamese RG6/7 or 11/(it has CoAx & Telco joined) Some Jelly crimps & a jointing kit.Unnoficially