Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cabling Confusion

This is a discussion on Cabling Confusion within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; To try and find the cause of my line errors and following advice from these great forums I have removed ...

bones` is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bamber Bridge, Preston
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cabling Confusion

To try and find the cause of my line errors and following advice from these great forums I have removed my Master Socket faceplate and plugged my router directly into the test socket.
      I think there is something amiss. My current configuration is Master Socket downstairs and 2 extensions upstairs, one of which my router used to be plugged into. Upon removing the faceplate (there were no wires at all attached to the faceplate) and the backplate there is 1 cable entering the house. This one cable has orange, white, green and black cables. The orange and white are attached to the 2 screw fittings on the backplate and the green and black go nowhere. Thats it! That doesn't sound right according to my understanding of telephone wiring. Does it sound like someone has butchered the cabling? Not sure what to do now. I feel I should go outside and remove the grey cover that runs up from the floor and covers the cable entry. I need to see whats going on with the wiring. Needless to say plugged into the test socket as it is does nothing to improve the error situation.
      Any suggestions?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Cabling Confusion

Do your extensions plug into the front of the master socket?

If you take the faceplate off and then the bit behind is there only one set of wires plugged into that?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The extension cable ran from outside the house so I just presumed it ran from the faceplate and back outside the house. There is only one cable entering the house and that is plugged into the backplate screw fitting. I now know why. I removed went outside and removed grey BT cover to find the the following:

A thick black cable with 5 pairs, thats 5x white plus blue, brown, orange, green and grey. The cable has been cut off before it enters the house and the blue and a white inner are attached to some splitter type thing that sends one pair back outside the house ( the extension) and another pair through the brickwork and to the master socket. The blue to orange and white to white.

I hope that explains things.

I know very little about wiring but presumed that the thick black cable should come through the brickwork and connect directly to the screw fittings on the backplate. I also presumed that any extensions should be wired to the pins 2-5 on the faceplate.

This being the case what problems does my current wiring pose and what would you do about it because I am not sure which way to go ??

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Anyone?
      I guess I could just cut the wires to the extension. This would mean I have the BT cable then about a foot of this unknown 4 core cable coming through the wall and into the master socket. Would this be preferable to what I have now? Would the foot of cheap cable be enough to give me line noise? I bought a metre of cat5 today with the intention of just joining it to the BT cable and through the wall and doing away with all the cheap stuff and the extension but whats the best way to connect to bare cables? I could ring BT but I don't want to pay for new cable from the pole to my house as it was the previous owner who had the extension fitted.

monkey_spanker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hinckley
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The BT master socket does only use 2 wires for connection from the BT drop line (the line from the telegraph pole) to your house. It is ILLEGAL for anyone other than BT to alter the wiring before the master socket. If you're having problems with the line and by using the test socket you can bypass all of the extensions then BT will look at the line. IF BT find a fault that is AFTER the master socket then they may charge you for repairs. If the fault is before the master socket then BT will fix it providing that the line hasn't been tampered with.
      Have a look here for wiring phone extensions.

-Paul is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Parkstone
      Broadband ISP: Freesat
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Humax HDR + 42"
      Thanks

"IF BT find a fault that is AFTER the master socket then they may charge you for repairs." You should say they WILL Charge!, BT openreach are getting tougher now, All extensions should leave the Frontplate of the NTE5A and not before.
      Paul

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I decided to chance it and ring BT as I havn't touched the wiring yet I pay 13 pm to rent the stuff.
      The BT engineer was very helpful and even gave me a BT pushdown tool just in case I have to re wire the extension.
      He reckoned the wiring was actually done by BT He also confirmed that broadband tends not to like it wired in that method. He wired it up correctly for me.
      As of now I still have errors but tomorrow I will plug my router into the (now correctly wired) test socket.

Fire & Brimstone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pollok
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Being Ex-BT this is would have been a method that I would have used to minimise the wiring inside a customers house. This was before Broadband was ever considered as a communication means for the general public. Although I would have used the green (External cable) to connect the ringer wire from the master socket to the extensions via the external box.

You may find that one of your extensions may be in fact an old style master that has a capacitor and a resistor fitted in it (or there may be a box in the loft). An extension needs 2 wires for the line and 1 for the ringer that should somehow make its way back to the main master socket, this 3rd wire (ringer) needs to connect all the sockets in the house.

If the engineer has in fact wired up correctly then you should find that either the green or the black (external cable) is now the ringer wire in the master downstairs that goes back outside to the external box. As a simple rule you have to ensure that a) pin 2 goes to pin 2 in all the sockets. b) pin 5 goes to pin 5 in all the sockets and the ringer wire pin 3 goes to pin 3 in all the sockets (colour of the wire will guide you).

I am on the max package @ 15323kbps even with an extension before the master in the circuit (previous home owner) but the BT engineer is right, using the tool he provided, making a good connection on each pin of each socket is very important. If they are connected I would remove pins 1, 4 & 6 as they are not required in a basic house set up, they are normally used as part of a Business Switchboard system.

Sorry for the long winded explanation but all wiring (extensions as well) used to be provided by BT before a change in the rules years ago that allowed people to wire their own extensions in their own house. You would be amazed at the various permutations that I saw when I was an Engineer (best days of my life).