Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

BT box position advice please

This is a discussion on BT box position advice please within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi guys, I have lived in my property for around 4 years now and until now never thought about this ...

kingvillain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

BT box position advice please

Hi guys, I have lived in my property for around 4 years now and until now never thought about this but I am thinking now. My master BT socket is located downstairs in my hallway however...it appears to me it`s not where it should be, reasons I think this is that for one it is right next to a radiator and 2 pipes from that radiator right under it (wonder if that can cause defects to my broadband quality), also the socket is very loose on the wall and has almost fallen off when I plug or unplug things in it. On close inspection I see no evidence off wallplugs to secure it and on removing the front panel to expose the test socket I can only see one screw in it holding it to the wall. I have also noticed that the cable which runs from the top part of my front door to the floor and under the carpet doesn`t seem in very good health, the outer part of it I have noticed has several splits as if it has been over bent or possibly had a sharp object to it, the inner cables still appear to have their coverings from what I can see.

I am thinking of calling BT to move the box and if they would possibly replace the cable, but my concern is that they may try and hold me responsible for it since I have lived here for so long, I wouldn`t want to cop a big bill or worse from bt for a previous tenants doing. I know it may have been best report it to bt long ago, but anyone have any advice on what I should do?
      Last edited by kingvillain; 23-03-07 at 06:24 PM.

2. Advertisement
      stuartp44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bacup
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: BT box position advice please

1. Is the cable that comes into your house a thik black cable?

2. No the location of your socket has very limited infulunce over your broadband, the worst thing you can do with your wireing is have it close to electrical items e.g. mains cabling.

3. Moving you box to where ever you want it will cost and it will cost a hell of a lot more asking BT to do it

4. Ovasly you have a sky router, check the status page to the noise and margine for your broadband them numbers can tell you a lot!

E.G.

Downstream Margin: 6 db
      Upstream Margin: 23 db
      Downstream Line Attenuation: 23
      Upstream Line Attenuation: 10

If theese figures are though the roof you have a serious problems

Hope this helps

Stuart