Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do I improve my SNR on a Star (spur) wiring systems?

This is a discussion on How do I improve my SNR on a Star (spur) wiring systems? within the Cabling and faceplate help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The internal telephone wiring in my house is a star (spur) configuration. The telephone wire enters the house through the ...

AndyK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen, Lochnagar
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How do I improve my SNR on a Star (spur) wiring systems?

The internal telephone wiring in my house is a star (spur) configuration. The telephone wire enters the house through the basement. At the first junction box (old looking brown box) it splits in two. The 1st wire goes to a telephone extension in the living room. The 2nd wire goes to another junction boxes, with 2 wires leading out. The 1st wire goes to a socket in the kitchen. The 2nd wire I assumes goes upstairs to the 1st floor and connect to sockets in two bedrooms. None of the sockets are BT master sockets and none have test connections.

The router is connected directly to the socket in the living room. I have a telephone connected to both the living room socket and one bedroom socket via the supplied filters.

Since getting connecting my SNR hovers around 5.5 Ė 6 dB. The highest Iíve seen temporarily was 7 dB and seen as low as 2.5 dB.

I donít want to rewire the whole house as access to most of the wiring is not easy, so any suggestions to improve the SNR. Would replacing the living room extension socket with a BT mater socket help? Would disconnecting the ring wire from the living room socket help?

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: How do I improve my SNR on a Star (spur) wiring systems?

I'd start by removing the bell wiring from the socket where the modem is plugged in, then trace it back to where the phone line enters the house, see what improvement you get at each stage.

Remember, only wires 2 and 5 need to be connected in all sockets you have.
      The colour of wire 2 needs to be the same on every socket, as does the colour of wire 5. Eg, if at your master socket, 2 is blue and 5 is blue/white - this needs to be the same in every extension socket you have.

I'm not sure of the legality of this though so proceed at your own risk.

kevlong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sounds like old wiring if the BT line is going into a brown box? is this box the master socket?

Kevlong

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No the brown box is just a terminal box. The house is relatively old and an extension was built and some of the interior wall remodelled around 10 year ago (before I owned the house). I suspect at this time the old BT master socket (maybe old style) was removed and all the sockets I now have were installed. Probably not done by BT, hence no BT master socket.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Oh that may cause you some problems with BT in the future.

Their own master socket is designed to have a BT side and a user side. You can take extensions off the user side but shouldn't touch the BT side.

It might be worth converting the socket that BT's wire comes into into a proper master socket and even potentially using a ADSL faceplate to isolate broadband from voice calls as well as potentially improving your signal.

Kevlong

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Had all the front's off the socket. Both the living room and kitchen socket look to be some sort of master socket as there are extra components, though neither has a test socket. The upstair sockets look like a standard socket.

The ring wire is already disconeted from the living room socket.

I don't think the BT line terminates at any of the sockets. It looks to terminate in the basement at a terminal block before branching off to the various sockets. The living room socket is on the first spur, so I guess if I was to make any a master socket, this would be the one.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

For info, here's a diagram of my wiring configuration and pictures of sockets:

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the info AndyK.

It would only be worth putting the master socket in the garage where the BT line comes in to make any real difference. In addition, putting an ADSL face plate there would in effect isolate the rest of the house telephone wiring from the adsl signal. The downside of course would be that you could only get an adsl signal from the adsl face plate! Perhaps using an adsl face plate in the garage and using the Netgear wireless connection to the PC could be considered?

Kevlong

stephens is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

As stated above I think the best option would be to have a master socket in the basement with an adsl faceplate. Then you can send filtered extensions to where you require them and an unfiltered connection to where you will have the router.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

There you go

Kevlong

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast