Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Unlocked Netgear 834GT Problems

This is a discussion on Unlocked Netgear 834GT Problems within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I have managed to unlock my netgear 834GT Router thanx to info found on the forum using my lap to ...

picasso is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unlocked Netgear 834GT Problems

I have managed to unlock my netgear 834GT Router thanx to info found on the forum using my lap to implement the procedure via a wired ethernet connection. I am a total novice to the world of networking !

my router now has the latest Netgear firmware. My aim is to use my desktop PC wired to the router & my Laptop connected wireless.

However when connecting the PC to the router and filter as instructed in the installation guide I am unable to access the IP addr http:// 192.168.0.1 for the router using Internet Explorer. Would this be due to the fact that the ethernet cable is plugged into a 1394 net adapter at the pc end? ie is this a proper adapter for this purpose?

Am I doing something obviously wrong?
      If it helps I was able to login to the router using my laptop following the unlocking procedure, but the laptop does have both a ethernet adapter and a wireless adapter. My PC is 4-5 yrs old. Im not sure what a 1394 net adapter is. (I currently connect to the internet via a USB modem.)

Any advice would be much apreciated.

2. Advertisement
      obvious is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Neath
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Unlocked Netgear 834GT Problems

yup, you're on the right track. unplug from 1394 port (FireWire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and plug in to an ethernet port (Rj45) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. If you haven't got an ethernet port then you'll need a card eg pci ethernet card - Froogle
      Last edited by obvious; 11-03-07 at 12:29 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Many thanks for the quick response! Very much appreciated.

I dont have an ethernet port so I will have to buy a PC1 adapter as you advised. Could you explain why I need this when my current Broadband modem connects via a USB port of which i have many?

Also do you think I am going the right way by having my main PC hard wired to the router rather than possibly having it also wireless ?

Regards

Thanks

Well the sky router doesn't have a usb port. You could get a usb -> ethernet adapter to plug into a spare usb port on your pc but you'd be better off with a dedicated PCI ethernet card (it'll use less system resources than USB).

Wired is recommended when setting up and troubleshooting so I'd go ahead and buy an ethernet card but going wireless for every day use can be a lot more convenient and it's pretty cheap and straightforward....

...if you've got another spare PCI slot on your motherboard then I'd consider getting a PCMCIA adapter ( eg Eclipse Computers - Product Details ) then you can use a cheap laptop pcmcia card in your main PC eg 108mbps pcmcia - Froogle

Of course there's more than one way to skin a cat but I use this configuration as laptop wireless cards are generally cheaper + the pcmcia slot can be used for other stuff as well. If you've got an old pcmcia wireless card already then it's even better.
      Last edited by obvious; 11-03-07 at 12:46 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again!...However I'm getting a little lost....I need a PC1 Ethernet card..which will take one PC1 slot....are you also suggesting another card to allow me to use a laptop wireless card...ie is that what the PCMCIA adapter is?
      I was considering a Netgear FA311 10/100Mbps RJ-45 Ethernet Card or a Netgear GA311 10/100/1000 Gigabit PCI Adapter ....which would you suggest..are they compatible with the router?

Regards

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
      Thanks again!...However I'm getting a little lost....I need a PC1 Ethernet card..which will take one PC1 slot....are you also suggesting another card to allow me to use a laptop wireless card...ie is that what the PCMCIA adapter is?
      Exactly

I was considering a Netgear FA311 10/100Mbps RJ-45 Ethernet Card or a Netgear GA311 10/100/1000 Gigabit PCI Adapter ....which would you suggest..are they compatible with the router?

Regards
      Either would be fine. Ethernet cards are commodity items these days with very little between them in terms of reliability. Go for gigabit ethernet if you think you'll ever be connecting to a home network that supports those kind of speeds...or if the price difference means it would be pointless to settle for 10/100.

You could forego the pcmcia adapter + pcmcia wireless card combination in favour of something like Eclipse Computers - Product Details and it would work fine but you'd lose a little flexibility in terms of future upgrades and the ability to use different types of cards etc.

If having the best is more your thing then you could stick a pre-n card in there. I'm using a WN511B
      Last edited by obvious; 11-03-07 at 01:55 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I think I'm sorted.....thanks for your time and prompt replies ..

Thanks

no problem. Good luck with it