Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky max service only on 8mb

This is a discussion on Sky max service only on 8mb within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I have been connected to Sky Max since last September, initially my service was unreliable but syncing at 12mb. Sky ...

TELEMETRY is offline Sky User Clan Member
      Exchange: Gravesend
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky max service only on 8mb

I have been connected to Sky Max since last September, initially my service was unreliable but syncing at 12mb. Sky tier 3 stated that there was too much noise on my line and they capped it down. I currently sync at 8096kb/s, with an upload of 768kb/s with 99.5% reliability.
      My line attenuation is 35.0db and my noise ratio varies between 14.5db and 11.0db dependant on time of day.
      Are we all being cheated here, paying 10 for a 5 service, I wonder, how do I find out, not sure if I am even on ADSL +2.

2. Advertisement
      sassylady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWKLAN
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky max service only on 8mb

Sky Netgear DG834GT utility version 0.4

Try this brilliant useful utility from Mognuts and you can get full config stats from the router and it will display all settings inc router mode i.e ASDL1 etc.
      Rosie
      12591 kb/s Download 579 kb/s upload

DrProzac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chelmsford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Having a look at the following Config file?

I'm not sure what any of it means.

All I can see (I think) is that I'm not on ADSL +2???

Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 768 Kbps, Downstream rate = 2976 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT

Does this mean that Sky have capped my line!?

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

@TELEMETRY: That's a seriously loud name you have there.

It's an interesting question that you raise. What you have experienced is actually a common thing done by T3 support: changing the connection from ADSL2+ down to ADSL1. This gives slower speeds but increased reliability (well, that's the theory anyway). Onto the interesting bit..

You ask about paying for a service that you aren't getting. This is a common misconception and one that I hear quite often, Basically, none of the Sky services guarantee any particular modulation technology. So, "Max" is "Max", not "ADSL2+". You wont find anywhere that Sky guarantee ADSL2+ for its Max service. All they do say is "up to 16Mbps". Well, 8 Mbps is within that range, so could still qualify as Max. The difference is, of course the unlimited downloads, which none of the other services provide, so you are still paying for something that the other serices don't provide.

Now, you could argue that the "up to 16 megs" argument is a little disingenuous. (The most paranoid / bellicose Skyusers call it "illegal" - it is nothing of the sort, of course.) The thing is that it is only disingenuous if Sky had said what technologies they'd use. In fact, it was all the pre-Sky hype from expert analysts and inaccurate forum postings all saying, in effect, "Max equals ADSL2+", whereas what they should have said (in fairness, some did) "to get the full speeds out of Max, you'll need ADSL2+". It's a subtle point, but one that has led to much consternation!

A more legitimate complaint is that, having been put in ADSL2+ and then moved to ADSL1 because of line conditions that you or Sky couldn't have known about at the time, you now don't want Max, but are tied to it for 12 months. (i.e., you don't care about unlimited downloads.) In this situation, you could:

1. Simple explain the situation to Sky and ask nicely to be moved over to, say, Mid. (I recommend against screaming at them, threatening to sue and so on.)
      2. A more common approach, and one that I recommend: try to find out what the original cause of the problem was and fix it. Then, once fixed, ask T3 to put you back onto ADSL2+ modulation.

Finally, you can also try this tool to give you detailed router stats and also to ensure that the router doesn't lose its connection (it reboots it when the line fails):
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...matically.html

HTH
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.