Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

High Attenuation - Some Advice Req'd

This is a discussion on High Attenuation - Some Advice Req'd within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hello Everyone, I discovered this site a few days ago very interesting it is as well. Since we've been with ...

delta5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Biddulph, North staffs
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

High Attenuation - Some Advice Req'd

Hello Everyone,

I discovered this site a few days ago very interesting it is as well.
      Since we've been with Sky (mid Dec) performance has been variable at best with dropouts etc regularly.
      Our home had old wiring so it has been re-arranged to put the router on the master socket, all extensions (rewired) on a phone plug which is plugged into a doubler plugged into the master socket - so the rest of the house can be isolated/unplugged as required. Since the internal rewire, the connection is a little better sometimes simply doesn't work - like, green internet light on the router but no connection at computers, some wireless, one wired through a 20m ethernet cable. To get it too work we routinely either lift a telephone to get a dial tone or call the house to get the phone ringing, then it finds the connection & then keep it until we stop using it.
      What seemed strange to me earlier whilst investigating the effect of the extensions was that unplugging them reduced the NM & the plugging them back in restored it to a higher level, 4.5 ish at worst with about 6 when plugging them in!!!

However what has stayed extremely high, well higher than anything I've seen here on this site is my line attenuation which is a constant 63.5 regardles of what I do. I'm 2.1km from the BIDDULPH exchange.

Below are my stats

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 24519 35564 0 596 8046 01:18:23
      LAN 10M/100M 13348 9697 0 2346 248 01:19:44
      WLAN 11M/54M 25550 17939 0 5951 483 01:19:34

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 896 kbps 416 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63.5 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 9.9 db 14.0 db

Noise Margin here is the best I've ever seen it, no collisions. Do I need my line capping & how would I arrange this if this is the solution?
      When arranging Sky BB I think I was told the best I speed I could expect was 3 Meg so we went for the mid package.

Thanks - in advance

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: High Attenuation - Some Advice Req'd

Forgot to say.

UPNP is off & the phone wiring to the house is off a telegraph pole, close to the power line in.
      This goes to a j/box on my chimney, then into the house to an old BT/Post Office rectangular j/box then to some bt type joints where another internal extension was tapped in (since removed) then to the bt master socket.

BT rewire required perhaps????

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You could actually get BT to run a brand new drop wire from the pole to the inside of your home free of charge.

When I worked for BT it was taboo to run wires to a chimney stack. Many people contacted BT requesting that the wires be removed from their chimneys because they were worried about the structure of the stack and the unnecessary stress placed upon it.

I would ask BT to resite the wire away from the Chimney, but you have to consider one of two outcomes.

Firstly which would be the best. If the telephone pole is on the same side of the road as your home, then a re-site is easily achieved.

If the telephone pole is on the opposite side of the road to your home, BT may need to put a 7 metre pole at your side of the road to bounce the wire off. The reason for this is that BT wires have to have a minimum clearance of 5.5 metres above the road crossing. If you live in a bungalow then the issue of road clearance is the probable reason why you have the wire on your chimney stack in the first place.

Have a word with BT and see what they say.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that, I'll investigate it. I'm not worried about wires on the chimney stack, what can I do though about the high attenuation??
      We do live in a bungalow and the telegraph pole is on my side of the road so no issues there.
      Anyone got any advice on the high attenuation?
      Would a BT rewire improve it?