Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

recommend me a PCI wireless card please

This is a discussion on recommend me a PCI wireless card please within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Want something to use on a 2nd pc, in conjunction with the sky netgear router (main pc is through ethernet). ...

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

recommend me a PCI wireless card please

Want something to use on a 2nd pc, in conjunction with the sky netgear router (main pc is through ethernet). 108mbps is a must, and ideally a good range. Not sure if the sky netgear is regarded as having a decent range in the first place, so maybe il'm floggin a dead horse. or maybe it makes the PCI card range even more important. Location will be a few small rooms away (and a couple of walls).

cheers

joe

2. Advertisement
      Parva is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Armley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: recommend me a PCI wireless card please

Basically any wireless access point should service your needs. You can get USB wireless access for 30+ and pretty much all will be fine for internet access. If you want file-sharing between computers and sharing huge files then I'm out of my depth here but for basic Internet access and even P2P stuff the most basic of wireless access points will pretty much serve your needs.

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joe pineapples View Post
      108mbps is a must...
      If you ever find one that actually works at 108Mbps without sitting on top of the transmitter, let me know. I use the Netgear WG311T and it is rated at 108, but in practice one floor down I only get 48Mbps and that's with a high gain aerial on the router. Despite that, it works fine.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

moshady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have the WG311T too - when I used to use the Sky Netgear router it synced up at 108Mbps. I now use a Belkin router instead, and since that doesn't support SuperG, it now syncs at 54Mbps.

However, when I tested throughput (copying files to and from another PC connected to the router via ethernet), I got very similar results. I don't have the figures to hand, but there was less than 1Mbps in it - the Netgear was just fractionally quicker.

My guess is that the sync speed it reports in SuperG mode is a bit optimistic - you might get the higher rate if as mossywell says the PC is on top of the router, but then of course you might as well use a cable...