Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky's Own Help on CD

This is a discussion on Sky's Own Help on CD within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I have just received my Router and awaiting an activation date The accompanying CD contains very comprehensive set up information ...

walter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sky's Own Help on CD

I have just received my Router and awaiting an activation date

The accompanying CD contains very comprehensive set up information with screen shots for IE, OE Network Settings etc. AND it contains Internet Explorer 6 and 7 installation software.

Surprisingly, despite what I had read on the Forum, the User Name and Password to gain access to the Router software are provided, together with information to set it up.

Is this a change of heart on the part of Sky. The CD is 24010307-02 Version2.
      Someone at Sky has been taking notice and must be monitoring SkyUsers. "Tt can only get better".

Without running the Sky software, access to the information on the CD is gained by going to Start>Run>CD ID letter>Applications>Sky>Help.
      To access the router guide>using the Internet link>Guides>checking sky box security settings.

2. Advertisement
      Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Sky's Own Help on CD

Walter all the Cd's have that on it though the earlier ones don't have IE7 as for the user name and password to get into the router that would be admin/sky

I think when you log into the router the option to see or change user details will be missing the first link on the left hand side will probably be Wireless Settings.

Correct me if I am wrong about this though.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for that. I still quite understand why users of the Forum ask questions about setting up IE & OE if it has always been on the CD.
      Can't answer your question at present - wating to activate. From what I can gather there is no other reason to use the CD.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

NP

In my opinion the CD is good for the novice as far as the set instructions are concerned as for the rest of it not worth the cost of the CD its only real use is that it has the recovery image for the router on it in case its needed.

Good luck when you get connected.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
      Surprisingly, despite what I had read on the Forum, the User Name and Password to gain access to the Router software are provided, together with information to set it up.
      I think you are getting this muddled up with the username and password that are stored in your router which enable you to access the internet. The Admin/Sky details are just for logging into the router.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I appreciate that there is a difference between the two user names and passwords, but my impression, having read quite a number of posts, was that there has been some mystery about even getting access to the password and user name just to get into the router.
      Do I take it that other than to extract the "elementary" set up information there is no point in running the CD to install any of Sky's software. Personally I am not interested in Sky's portal. All I want to do is to be able to send and receive email with OE and use the Internet via IE7 as I do at present. Hopefully without a lot of hassle and at a reasonable speed having opted for the mid package..
      Hopefully I have enough information gathered before I get closed down by my present ISP.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Hi Walter

There is a username and password hard coded into the Sky router, this information is not available from Sky themselves, however there are some excellent threads in the Tech forum regarding retrieving this info.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 29-01-07 at 11:36 PM.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
      but my impression, having read quite a number of posts, was that there has been some mystery about even getting access to the password and user name just to get into the router.
      I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion as this has never been the case, for example if you use the search facility on these forums and do a search for the words "Admin Sky" you will get a load of results where these login details have been posted.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks guys.