Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

one for the networking guys ....

This is a discussion on one for the networking guys .... within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; i just wanted to run this by someone more clued up than me to see if its a viable option.... ...

surfer_dude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

one for the networking guys ....

i just wanted to run this by someone more clued up than me to see if its a viable option....
      i need WDS; wireless distribution system between two wireless routers. I have concluded that sky supplied router will not do this....

so.. (here goes...deep breath!!)

connect sky router to USR 9108 (right beside it) via cat 5
      sky wireless turned to OFF
      USR 9108 wireless ON but DHCP off and USR 9108 WDS enabled...

then on a different floor USR 9106 in WDS mode (modem off) (dhcp off) wireless ON...

connect usr 9108 and usr 9106 via WDS (by their mac addresses)

so will desktop pcs connected to my USR 9106 upstairs obtain IP addresses from the sky router?

<sky router> --- <usr 9108> wireless wds <usr 9106> -- <desktop pc>

also will laptops pick up IP addresses from sky router via usr 9108/9106 wirelessly ?

i hope all that made sense ! im just trying to utilize the equipment I have at home to solve my dilemma...

i dont want to obtain user/pass from sky router and use them in one of the USR's as it seems unclear what sky would do if they found out I was using different equipment (but i'll keep this option as a last resort... WDS between both USR's should work flawlessly..)

also (final question !!) can anyone using WDS tell me what kind of speeds they are getting over the wireless bridge (WDS) ? and if all what im attempting is even worth it !

thanks for taking the time to read this long post ! hope someone can help !

surfer_dude

2. Advertisement
      mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: one for the networking guys ....

I've read it and I think I might have understood.

On paper, it looks like it should work. I not being facetious when I note that, given that you already have the equipment, why not just try it?

Re obtaining your user name and password - there's no way to tell it has been obtained. Using it is a different matter, but even then the consensus is that whilst you're pouring cash into the Murdoch coffer's and not breaking anything, Sky won't mind at all.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

surfer_dude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: one for the networking guys ....

hey,

i'd like to try it.. however i have one of the routers (usr 9106) in use upstairs on a different phone line with a different isp !
      family members are mid exam at the moment so i didnt want to carry out any changes until they are done (this friday !!!) just in case

the other isp account will be suspended this weekend so i'll have a play and report back.

the other part of my question about throughput on the WDS (wireless distribution system) was because usr9108 is of adsl2+ speeds where as the usr9106 is a adsl1 (8mbps)

if WDS is a viable option and offers real throughput of 13/14 mbps across a wireless network i would invest in another adsl2+ device... (dont want a bottleneck !!) so anyone with WDS in use care to comment on wireless speeds they are receiving ?

i now feel more comfortable knowing should all this fail, i'll be able to extract user/pass and use it in an usr WDS environment without sky writing/complaining to me (well no evidence to the contrary)

hopefully, if anyone does get pulled up for using a non standard sky router, they will post on the forum !!!