Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Home network setup

This is a discussion on Home network setup within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; We have four computers at home, 2 desktops and 2 laptops. At the moment, neither desktop have anyway to connect ...

Jimmy4eyes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0131 Musselburgh
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Home network setup

We have four computers at home, 2 desktops and 2 laptops. At the moment, neither desktop have anyway to connect to the internet. Both laptops can use the RJ11 cable, but obviously only one at a time. One laptop can also hook up wirelessly but the other can't.

What I would like to do is have all 4 machines with net access, sharing the sky supplied router, but also networked to each other to share files, printers etc.

I've gathered I have to buy wireless adapters for the desktops and one laptop, but can the router be used to network all four machines to each other?

Also, I see two other sockets on the router that look to me like the one the RJ11 cable is plugged into, what are these for?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Home network setup

Are all 4 machines in the same room?

The Sky router has 4 lan ports (RJ45/Ethernet) and so theoretically all four could share the internet.

Alternatively you could have any combination of wired (up to 4 on the router alone) or iirc 253 wirelessly.

The router has one RJ11 point (for the phoneline) 4 x RJ45 ports and a PSU point
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

jtumath is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey 0151 639 xxxx
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Home network setup

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy4eyes View Post
      We have four computers at home, 2 desktops and 2 laptops. What I would like to do is have all 4 machines with net access, sharing the sky supplied router, but also networked to each other to share files, printers etc.

I've gathered I have to buy wireless adapters for the desktops and one laptop, but can the router be used to network all four machines to each other?

?
      Sure Can

I have two windows boxes, one, Linux box and one mac connected to the router with cable.
      I also have one laptop connected by wieless.

Each machine can see each other machine and use there resourses such as files, printers and external disk drives.
      John..