Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DSL Connection Problem

This is a discussion on DSL Connection Problem within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi there, I am still having problems with my connection to sky broadband. (both wired and wireless) after speaking to ...

j0n_d is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

DSL Connection Problem

Hi there, I am still having problems with my connection to sky broadband. (both wired and wireless) after speaking to sky tech support there solution to my daily problem is to reboot the router everytime i disconnect which i find higly unhelpful and useless.

i have been thru various tutorials from this site regarding master socket and noise margin etc but still i continue to disconnect randomly for no reason.

i decided to try my old router, a linksys WAG354G and see if it maybe a problem specific to the sky Netgear router. i followed instructions i found on a thread in this forum on how to set up a different router regarding password username etc which was very helpful.

however, i seem to have a problem still. i plug in the phone line to the linksys router gateway and all the correct lights light up except the DSL light which just blinks. when it blinks i think it means it is looking for a broadband signal down the phone line, but why can the router not find the signal. on the netgear router all the lights are on fine all the time, but like i say the connection drops randomly every day!

any thoughts or suggestions would be great

great site, thanks

2. Advertisement
      dgilbert2 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Non now
      Thanks
      Not sure about using the Linksys, but what are your line stats?

This will give some clues as to how close you are to the limits of ADSL which may be causing the dropouts.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

my line stats are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 11513 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 28.0 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 12.5 db

and even when the noise margin is higher than that, like at 9 db it still drops. i am 1.6km from my exchange, and i had no problems like this with my previous ISP.

also i have just noticed that the tick light on the netgear router is not lit up, is that supposed to stay on at all times??

thanks

Disillusioned is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSFLT Filton Bristol
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The Tick box shouldn't be lit, it is a test light.
      ~Computing today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning~

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

any ideas then why another router cannot pick up on my broadband signal when i plug in the phone line? does sky broadband down the phone line know that it is going into a router that is not the SKY NETGEAR router or what??

thanks

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Have you tried the test socket behind the master socket faceplate to eliminate your internal wiring?
      Your profile says Base but your stats would indicate Max.
      Looking at the stats you have posted across various threads although each noise margin is reasonable the sync speed shows large variations.This would suggest to me that you have noise problems.
      I found that with having the Router Statistics page always running minimised I was able to open it up at the time of my disconnects and see that my noise margin had dropped right down.Continuing to monitor I could see that after a few 10sec refreshes the noise margin would climb up again.
      A filtered faceplate and a dedicated line from the unfiltered outlet to my router resulted in a variable sync speed of 1100-1500 kbps at different times changing to a rock solid 2044kbps with a noise margin of 16dB all the time.

Andy

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry I didn't realise that I had the Base package selected on my profile. I am actually on the Max package. Thanks for pointing it out. I have tested the master socket, but I once had broadband with Orange and there was no problems like this? Why would it be the internal wiring of my BT socket now all of a sudden?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Also what is sync speed? And how does it affect the quality of the broadband service?

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by j0n_d View Post
      I have tested the master socket, but I once had broadband with Orange and there was no problems like this? Why would it be the internal wiring of my BT socket now all of a sudden?
      You need to try the test socket not the master socket.

You are now on a high speed adsl2+ service (probably) and high speed demands a relatively noise free line. What is acceptable for a low speed service is not acceptable for a high one. That's the way the technology works.

Sync speed is the speed your router has negotiated with the exchange and it depends on your line characteristics. If you lower the noise on your line the router can negotiate a higher connection speed.
      Last edited by Saturday; 29-12-06 at 10:02 PM.