Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Only Have A Connection For 1 To 2 Minutes At A Time

This is a discussion on Only Have A Connection For 1 To 2 Minutes At A Time within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I have been connected to Sky Broadband (Connect) since mid October. Once I finally received my router we had some ...

timlouise is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Only Have A Connection For 1 To 2 Minutes At A Time

I have been connected to Sky Broadband (Connect) since mid October. Once I finally received my router we had some difficulties loading software etc but finally were able to connect via Sky Broadband. At first things were not too bad but then the connection kept dropping and we would find that we were part way through doing something and had no connection.

Things are now so bad that we are unable to gain access to the internet for more than 1 or two minutes at a time. We have rung Sky on several occasions and gone through all their trouble shooting systems, wasted well over an hour on the telephone to no avail with no help offered other than that someone will phone me back but they never do!!!!

The only way I can regain a connection is by unplugging the power cable to the router and waiting for a few minutes and then plugging the power cable in again. If I am lucky I then regain a connection for 1 or 2 minutes maximum - usually less than a minute. Just to register and put this thread on to the forum has so far taken me over 2 hours! To say I am getting frustrated is an understatement!!!!!

I have tried emailing them and again have not received any reply!

Can anyone suggest what I can do next as I feel that I am banging my head against a brick wall and to say that I feel angry and frustrated is a slight under-exageration.

I was with NTL and had no problems with connection to broadband. Sky tried to tell me it was because I had NTL for my phone line - wrong - I have always had a BT phone line. They have tried every excuse but they cannot explain why I had very few problems with connection to now being near enough unable to connect at all.

Please can someone help or advice me?

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Have you tried turning the UPnP off?

If not do so, see if that helps

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view.php?pg=routerstats

Near the bottom.

Also have you tried the test socket? behind the master socket

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view.php?pg=master
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It has taken at least 12 attempts of unplugging the power cable to the router to get a connection to send this reply to your posting NewsreadeR and I am close to tears with frustration. I have pasted below the stats I found via your first link and do not understand what they mean. At the time I lost connection almost as soon as I clicked on the button to gain access to the stats.

I also followed the other link and I could not find a test box on my BT box in the house when I looked for the Sky technical persons in the past but they have had BT check my line and the exchange in the past and everything was found to be ok.

If anyone can tell from the stats below if there is a problem or if there is anything I can do to give me access to broadband for more than the few seconds at a time that I am getting tonight.

System Up Time 00:00:58
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 13 10 0 21 99 00:00:37
      LAN 10M/100M 227 195 0 1927 453 00:00:56
      WLAN 11M/54M 78 0 0 447 0 00:00:46

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8096 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 25.0 db 14.0 db
      Noise Margin 9.4 db 24.0 db

I am not exagerating I am ready to cry with frustration I have spent yet another night trying to just get on the internet to look at my emails let alone look on any sites to find out info for a forthcoming trip. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of Sky in the whole house and contacting any applicable Ombudsman as well as Watchdog and other consumer programmes.

I have found the Sky technical help useless, they all follow the same scripts and will not let you talk to the next tier. I am always told that someone from the next tier will ring me in the next few days but this does not happen. I have wasted so much time and money and am paying for a service I am unable to access.

Sorry for the outpouring of anger but I really am getting to the end of my tether and do not have enough knowledge to understand what might be the problem.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Hi

Did you try turning off the UPnP? Your stats to me look quite good!

Firstly the URL Address for the config page is http://192.168.0.1 < type that in your explorer bar and then hit enter.

When you first connect to the config page it will ask for a username and password!

* The Default Username is : admin
      * The Default Password is : sky

Look on the left hand side, you should see:

UPnP - click on it to open the UPnP options

Take the tick out of Turn UPnP On and then click on apply.

Pull the power lead out of the router and leave out for about 10 secs, and then plug back in again. Also reboot your PC at the same time if you can.

Then let us know if that helps.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      This is obviously not a rule but an indication of likelihood:
      • Regular, disconnections (typically every 15 min) = UPnP bug
      • Regular set times of day disconnections (typically evenings) = dropping noise margin
      • Irregular, random (can be very frequent or ad hoc disconnections) = cable fault, other noise burst or overheating/faulty router

Your problem seems to fit the last category so the first thing I'd check for is a faulty cable connecting the router to the phone socket or router to PC, a faulty socket (phone, PC or router), an overheating router (is it hot to the touch?) or an external factor such as electrical interference from Christmas lights, Dect phones, microwaves etc.

Of course it may be none of the above and it could all be Sky's fault but to be honest that is the least likely scenario.

HTH

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I am afraid that even though I have taken the tick out of the UPnP and rebooted etc as you suggested it has not helped.

Saturday, I do think that it is a faulty router and have thought so all along but the Sky engineers do not seem to agree when I suggested this to them a couple of weeks ago. I am still waiting for them to phone me back!

The router is not hot as it is never on long enough to get hot due to the fact the only way to get a connection is to keep taking out the power cable.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      It may well be the router but don't rule out the effects of a faulty cable - you wouldn't be the first person to see a miraculous change when the cable(s) has been changed.

Does the internet light go out on the router when you lose connection (which would suggest a RJ11 cable problem - or a faulty router/ exchange equipment)? When you lose connection to the internet do you lose access to the router admin pages (which suggests a faulty ethernet connection)?

Do you have other cables - RJ11 (router to phone socket) and ethernet (router to PC)? If not a new RJ11 or ethernet cable will cost just a couple of pounds and is well worth trying in my opinion.

Lastly, what is your router plugged into. An extension by any chance? If you temporarily disconnect every phone/digibox/fax etc, is the problem still there? If it goes away then you have a filter problem. If you plug the router into the master socket (or even better the test socket) and the problem goes away then it is a wiring problem.

I know that this is a lot to consider but unfortunately that's the problem with remote off-line problem diagnosis.
      Last edited by Saturday; 28-12-06 at 01:57 AM.