Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help using a different router than the Netgear

This is a discussion on Help using a different router than the Netgear within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi there, this is my first post here and like a lot of other people, i have been experiencing random ...

j0n_d is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Help using a different router than the Netgear

Hi there, this is my first post here and like a lot of other people, i have been experiencing random disconnections everyday, sometimes every few minutes.
      I read on another post that some other routers are working okay with sky broadband, and that they were getting better connections.

Before i joined sky i was using a linksys WAG354G, would this work fine?

And if so, does anyone mind explaining how i set it up wirelessly, using my username and password etc, and ecapsulation etc.

many many thanks and what a great support site this is for sky broadband users!

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Though it is possible that a different router will perform better than the Sky supplied one it might be worth getting to the bottom of why you are experiencing these problems first?

With the Sky router the two most common causes for disconnections are a bug in the UPnP implementation and various affects from noise on your line - most notably a sensitivity to falling noise margin particularly in the evenings. The first is easy to fix by turning off UPnP. The latter needs a bit more work but often is down to making improvements to the filtering of your connection. You may well see benefits from this whatever router you need. There are many posts on the forum covering these things. Start with the stickies.

To use an alternative router you must first extract your Sky user name and password from the Sky router. You'll find instructions in the sticky in this forum. Then you enter these into the configuration screen of your new router. Additional info you need:
      • Encapsulation is PPPoA
      • VPI/VCI is 0/38
      • Multiplexing is VC

If you are using another router wirelessly then you may as well replicate the Sky router settings.

Choose WPA and use the SSID and network key as supplied on the card that came with the router.

Lastly, please remember you will be breaking Sky's T&Cs by using another router.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi sorry i never read the small print - i wasnt aware that i was breaking the T and Cs for sky contract, thanks for that. i have tried the uPNP thing after seeing the suggestion on another post but it still disconnects. my old router and ISP worked fine so to suggest that it is a noise problem would put the blame on the service that sky is providing is that right? and if that is the case will the service improve in time from sky?

thanks

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Sky rather unfairly take a lot of stick on this forum as people assume it must be their Sky's that noise is a problem when it wasn't with their previous ISP.

The truth is that Sky are selling a fairly cutting edge ADSL2+ service which offers speeds that were unimaginable not too long ago. This technology comes at a price though because it will only function satisfactorily on a relatively noise free line. Older technologies are less sensitive to this problem.

Sky can not influence or control the noise on your line. They can't easily tell before you are connected and can't alter it after you are connected. All they can do is cap your speed and/or move you to older technology once you complain.

What Sky should and could do in my opinion is to be more proactive in monitoring customers connections and make suggestions for rectifying problems. However, can you imagine the complaints you'd see along the lines of "I connected 2 days ago and got 12meg, now I'm only on 8meg - Sky's cheating me". The other thing they could do (and I wouldn't be surprised to see this in a future firmware update) is to move the default noise margin from 6.9db to somewhere around 10db. This would remove a large amount of the problems people see.

So to recap, Sky are selling a service which many people can receive and enjoy with no problem. For those that can't, Sky has so far been rather poor at dealing with this.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

sure, thanks for the wuick replies. i am moderately comfortable with PC, networking, internet etc, some are more so and others haven't a clue about such things, but we all join a service that looks good and is being run by a respectable company, but what you are saying is a lot of techincal stuff that not everyone would understand. my point is (and i agree with you about sky getting at lot of heat on this site) is how can sky get hold of this super super new technology and then just throw it out to the public and "wait and see." wouldnt it have better to test it first and make sure these "teething problems" were sorted out before they started advertising it. i joined the "last" generation of broadband when that first hit the shelves and that didnt have such problems as this. it just seems that sky is a bit irresponsible for not diclosing the full picture and now they have people (myself included) trapped in for a years contract. i had such problems initially joining sky which they blamed BT for and because of this i feel too scared now to go to another ISP in case all these problems occur again!

Exchange:
      Thanks
      I understand your feelings and agree that Sky isn't/hasn't handled this well for a large minority of its customers.

However, it normally is no big deal to get a good working connection from Sky once you understand the issues and know a few simple tests and tricks. Should customers have to know this? No. But we are where we are.

You'll find all the info you need and more on these forums, generally to be found in the stickies. I think this is a good starting point but then I'm biased

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks for all your help but one more question?
      what/where are stickies?

(i am new to this site)

Exchange:
      Thanks
      Where the forum Moderators feel a thread has particular usefulness or merit or if it has been written specifically for the purpose, it will be made "sticky" i.e. it will stay at the top of the lists of posts on the first page of each forum.

You will find one or more stickies in most forums and sub forums (but not this one currently as it happens )