Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Disposing of supplied Netgear

This is a discussion on Disposing of supplied Netgear within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I want to move back to my Linksys WAG354v2, I've had numerous issues with the netgear, so in an attempt ...

wolf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Forest Hill
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Disposing of supplied Netgear

I want to move back to my Linksys WAG354v2, I've had numerous issues with the netgear, so in an attempt to retrieve U/P details fom the Netgear it died!

On applying power the lights come on but there's certainly no F*((*^r home!

The LAN port is lit but nowt else, can't browse into it either.

Obviously I can't retrieve user/pass details until I get this up - anyone know how to perform full system reset to get it back up? Have tried various combos with reset button/power but am clutching at straws.

I called Sky and they said they could send another out in 5 working days!? I am getting major league grief off er indoors every time this goes down so as you can imagine my relationship with my partner is directly related to the reliability of 'being on line'

Thanks
      Last edited by wolf; 27-11-06 at 01:10 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Amaboknaai is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276 Camberley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      The CD that came with your Sky Netgear router has what you require on it. This is moot, if you cannot get into it via Ethernet connection, in which case, you won't be able to do a firmware restore.

Choices if this is the case are limited in that you cannot get your credentials off the router.

Look through this section of the forum, and you will find the correct sequence to reset the router to factory standard using comb of reset and power. If this doesn't work, then I am afraid you are back to dialup until they send you a replacement router...
      Last edited by Amaboknaai; 27-11-06 at 01:13 PM.

wolf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Forest Hill
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Has anyone seen this issue with the netgear?

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      That depends on what you mean by "this issue"! I suspect that plenty of people have lost contact with their router when trying to hack / upgrade firmware / get username and password (hence the huge number of caveats and disclaimers that come with the process).

As Amaboknaai says, try recovering it from the CD and then tell us how you get on.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Ricey155 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Exhall, Coventry - CMEXH
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      mine dead friday - i left it for approx 30 mins with nothing conneted at all no power etc and the power came back no idea why

its happened a few times seems to be stable last 3 days tho (even with me messing up the box hack 6-7 times)

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Pop an oscilloscope on the PSU (preferably under load - but that's not essential). I suspect you'll soon see why some people are seeing problems such as this.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      cough, this shows that Sky was a "Rushed" product! No real tests at all! As soon as they obtained "Easynet" the product was out asap!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You sound surprised. I'm not condoning it, but it's common practice especially when a significant amount of money has been invested in the purchase of another company. Such sums are usually borrowed (unless you're Microsoft!) and therefore the board see it as imperative that a return is seen as soon as possible. The problem arises when the technical due diligence is not detailed enough. The directors make a purchase, go to the techies and say "you have 4 weeks to ship this product". After a detailed view of their new acquisitions, the techies often have to report back that this marvellous new acquisition isn't quite as buff as the directors would believe! Of course by then it's too late and the board say, "it ships in 4 weeks nevertheless". (The 4 weeks is made up, but I have no doubts that the techical team were not happy about the product not being up to the standard that they would like.) C'est la vie.