Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Anyone with a Draytek Vigor 2600G or similair?

This is a discussion on Anyone with a Draytek Vigor 2600G or similair? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi. I swear by Draytek Vigor routers and have used one for many years now - I know it pretty ...

mrplant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Musselburgh
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD AnyTime+
      Thanks

Anyone with a Draytek Vigor 2600G or similair?

Hi.

I swear by Draytek Vigor routers and have used one for many years now - I know it pretty well etc. This model is wireless.

I would like to do one of two things here. I am scheduled to move from Plusnet 8mb to Sky LLU on the 23rd. Sky Router is here etc.

Obviously on the 23rd I will use the sky router to check speeds, etc and that everything is ok.. moving on though.. I would like to try one of the following..

1/. Replace the sky router with my Vigor 2600G. I have read how to access my username and password locked into the Sky router and that seems ok. What I am wondering is, do I also need to find out the sky routers MAC address and give that to the Vigor router? I know how to put the MAC into the Vigor but not how to get it from the Sky router in the first place. Is this step necessary at all?

2/. I only expect to connect at adsl 1.0 speeds with the Vigor router as it is not adsl 2.0 compatible. If I am lucky enough to get high enough speeds, I would be interested in doing the following if possible.
      Connect to the internet with the sky and somehow use my Vigor router upstairs to access the wifi connection coming from the sky router and share it through the draytek vigor? Anybody know if this is possible with this hardware or how to do it? Some sort of bridged mode perhaps? I have no experience with this sort of setup. Perhaps somebody reading this has tried a similair thing?

Why am I so obsessed with keeping the Vigor?
      Its fitted onto an upstairs wall! It has a shared photo printer attached on its usb socket and 4 wired RJ45 connections. The sky router won't mount on the wall as it comes and would look even more silly! I would also lose the shared printer connection....
      Oh and did I mention, I just know and like the Vigor better...

Comments anyone?

Thanks for your time.

Steve McD.
      Last edited by mrplant; 21-11-06 at 05:23 PM.

2. Advertisement
      moshady is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      The answer to your question 1 is "no". You only need the ADSL username/password.

jtumath is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallasey 0151 639 xxxx
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I have a plain vanilla 2600
      connects at 8 megs (ADSL1)
      Steady as a rock

I can even change the MAC in the vigor
      John..

mrplant is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Musselburgh
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: SkyHD AnyTime+
      Thanks

Thanks for feedback so far. I got my username / password and will try out the Vigor 2600, after checking the sky box connects ok (long as migration goes to plan tomorrow that is!).

Anybody got any experience of the Draytek 2800 models? There was some talk of them being unreliable with the UK ADSL 2+ implementation - has firmware now resolved this? Anyone?

stabilo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Anyone with a Draytek Vigor 2600G or similair?

I too have a vigor 2600 and would be more than happy to stick with it if username and password is all I need to change in the settings. Obviously if the netgear conks up you can get a new one from sky but still.

My various readings around the forum have led to following thoughts..

Is the username and password all you need ?
      Is it PPP0A and CHAP?
      And dynamic IP not static?

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Anyone with a Draytek Vigor 2600G or similair?

Moved to Asking for Help

Check out the "how to use non-sky router" sticky at the top of this forum.
      IQ album "Dark Matter" artwork reproduced with permission. See www.gep.co.uk/iq for more information.