Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By forevergroup

Creating a home network.....please help absolute novice!

This is a discussion on Creating a home network.....please help absolute novice! within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi, I have recently joined sky broadband and have been given the Sky Q router (model ER115). I want to ...

Not_techy_at_all is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Creating a home network.....please help absolute novice!

Hi,

I have recently joined sky broadband and have been given the Sky Q router (model ER115). I want to create a network at home whereby my Sky Q box, blu ray, smart tv, NAS drive, Hive Hub, and iMac are all hardwired to the internet using Ethernet cable but there are only 2 ports. Then I have seen that I can buy a WiFi access point or something that will then create WiFi access for around the house? If someone could please help tell me what equipment i need to buy and share any diagrams of the best set up for these requirements?

I currently have an Ethernet switch but the NAS drive does not like the Ethernet switch and won’t connect to the network....I am really lost at a solution now!

thanks in advance for any advice /help

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Creating a home network.....please help absolute novice!

To hardwire all your devices, buy something like an 8 (or 10] port network switch.
      Connect the network switch to your router using an ethernet cable.
      connect each device to the network switch using an ethernet cable for each device.
      Voila! Your devices are hardwired to the router (via a network switch).

if the router isn’t near the devices, maybe use a pair of powerline network devices (plugged into power sockets) - one by the router, the other by the network switch placed near the devices - to avoid an unsightly long run of ethernet cable?

For wifi around the house, depends on house - tiny terrace or massive mansion? - and placement of router, devices and where else you need wifi.

either use the router’s built in wifi or get a network switch (see above) that also has a built in wireless access point or get a standalone wireless access point for distant spots with weak coverage. Suggest as a starting point to use router’s wifi to see if it gives enough decent wifi coverage around your house in every place where you need it and then go from there.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to speedyrite For This Useful Post:

Not_techy_at_all (02-11-20)

Not_techy_at_all is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi Speedyrite,

I already have purchased a network switch. I am using the TP-Link SG108S and currently have my Hive hub, Synology DS216j, and my iMac plugged into it. In the back of my router I have the Sky Q main box and Network switch plugged into the 2 Ethernet ports.

I live in a 3 bed period property approx 160sqm in size and WiFi reception is not great in the house. I would prefer not to use powerline extenders as have young kids who tend to be very inquisitive and pull the adapters out of the sockets!!

The routers WiFi definitely leaves me with quite a few black spots through the house.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Sounds like getting a decent standalone Wireless Access Point might be your best bet then?

forevergroup is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kidderminster
      Broadband ISP: Wholesale
      Router: Cisco Meraki
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Your best bet is likely to be one of the new breed of 'whole home' mesh WiFi solutions. You can get a triple-pack of the Tenda units cheaply from Currys.

I haven't used them myself (all Cisco kit here) but they have good reviews - I recommended them to my cousin and he has been very happy with them.

In a 'normal' deployment you would disable the built-in WiFi for the ISP router, locate one of the Tenda units in that location, and then the other two units would be located elsewhere in the house and they 'talk' to each other.

All of these things will need plug sockets however. So you may need to look for discrete sockets e.g. behind a chest of drawers etc.

I don't believe the bulk of the wireless access points sits 'in' the socket as with powerline etc. I believe they have a regular power adaptor and a bit of cabling so that they can be positioned more appropriately.

Best of luck.
      speedyrite likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to forevergroup For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (04-12-20)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I keep forgetting about whole home mesh WiFi solutions! Mainly because they didn’t exist when back then as an early adopter of domestic WiFi, and we’ve been pretty lucky since then with not having any houses that have “difficult” cold spots to reach. But noted for future reference, thanks @forevergroup