Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I use an ASUS GT-AC5300 Router with Sky?

This is a discussion on Can I use an ASUS GT-AC5300 Router with Sky? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Good evening. I'd very much like to replace my Sky ER115 hub. I have bought a Draytek Vigor 130 modem ...

Alans1966 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01563
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can I use an ASUS GT-AC5300 Router with Sky?

Good evening.

I'd very much like to replace my Sky ER115 hub. I have bought a Draytek Vigor 130 modem and set that up in bridge mode. I have also bought an ASUS ROG GT-AC5300 router.

As things stand this setup does not work - the router webpage reports a DHCP error with the ISP. I realise that this is because the router needs to be configured for DHCP option 61 (MER).

ASUS support have advised that the router does not support option 61 and my first instinct is to return it. However, I have seen a post on this forum from Shonk dated way back in 30-09-17 which says that this very router can be used if you telnet in a code sequence to the router to enable option 61.

As a total newbie to this kind of stuff, can anyone tell me that a) this router will work with Sky and b) how do telnet into the router?

Much obliged.

2. Advertisement
      coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT-Fibre-900
      Router: opnSense-I78550-Fanless
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Re: Can I use an ASUS GT-AC5300 Router with Sky?

Asus routers only work if they can be flashed with merlin firmware, check smallnetbuilder forums for with asus models are supported. I'm not sure that one is. Also if you ssh in and do that code it only lasts until reboot so it's not a great way to do it. Not being rude about here but for asus stuff smallnetbuilder forum will help you way more with your router.