Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless signal issues and using a separate router

This is a discussion on Wireless signal issues and using a separate router within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all I'm using the normal Sky Hub with the Fibre Unlimited (40Mbps) connection. In the last week or 2 ...

cstevenson289 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wireless signal issues and using a separate router

Hi all

I'm using the normal Sky Hub with the Fibre Unlimited (40Mbps) connection. In the last week or 2 I've been having problems with the speed of my wifi. After speaking to sky and doing various troubleshooting things, I can get it to go up to 12-14mbs for about 24hrs before dropping to 0.5-5mbps.

I've unplugged everything in my house that could interfere, I've changed the wireless channel countless times, all to no avail.

I'm at the end of my tether with this really and, knowing the Ts&Cs that I cannot replace the modem, I wondered if I could use it purely as a modem and attach a router to it to generate the WiFi signal?

I appreciate there are other threads around this but I kinda get lost with them.

Thanks
      C

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Wireless signal issues and using a separate router

If you have a look in the Fibre section Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help you will see that although its against the T & Cs, many are using their own router with little problem. Just make sure you hold on to your old router in case Sky require it should you have a problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I use my own router mainly for the extra options and because the one Sky supplied does not support the 5GHz band and I need to use that because the 2.4GHz band is pretty congested around here.

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL
      Router: Billion 7400
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cstevenson289 View Post
      Hi all

I'm using the normal Sky Hub with the Fibre Unlimited (40Mbps) connection. In the last week or 2 I've been having problems with the speed of my wifi. After speaking to sky and doing various troubleshooting things, I can get it to go up to 12-14mbs for about 24hrs before dropping to 0.5-5mbps.

I've unplugged everything in my house that could interfere, I've changed the wireless channel countless times, all to no avail.

I'm at the end of my tether with this really and, knowing the Ts&Cs that I cannot replace the modem, I wondered if I could use it purely as a modem and attach a router to it to generate the WiFi signal?

I appreciate there are other threads around this but I kinda get lost with them.

Thanks
      C
      I don't want to state the obvious but you have used a wifi scanner app on a smartphone or your laptop when the speed drops? To check for other routers nearby causing issues. Remember not everyone keeps their router on all the time.

You could always buy a replacement router (hub v2.1) from Sky for 29. Your Hub v1 (if your profile is correct) must be about 3-4 years old so it could be an equipment issue. You could upgrade to Fibre Max (if available) and (possibly) get a discounted Hub v3 - you might need to call broadband cancellations for this.

You don't always need to go 3rd party as you cannot get support for further issues and you may pay more.
      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of Sky

winnywood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: sky hub sr102
      Thanks

You can continue to use your sky hub and connect another router to it to handle just the wifi.
      You will need to change is default ip address to something different to the sky hub like. 192.168.02 and switch off dchp.
      There is lots of info on the internet on how to create a network bridge or even a wifi bridge.
      You can also connect multiple routers if you wish and have different wifi access codes for say i.e guests.
      You can also set both routers to the same wireless access key so to increase your wifi range.
      Basically anything you can think of doing can be done if its setup correctly.
      First thou use a wifi app to pick a less congested channel and remove any possible source of interference. I.e is your router by your telly.

if it isnt broke, take it apart then it soon will be.

Thanks

You can also set both routers to the same wireless access key so to increase your wifi range.
      At half the WIF speed.

winnywood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: sky hub sr102
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BurnIT View Post
      At half the WIF speed.
      Only in a wifi bridge mode.
      (Where communication from 1 router to another is done over wifi)
      If connected via a ethernet cable then both routers will work at there network speed dependent on external influences.

if it isnt broke, take it apart then it soon will be.

Thanks

Only if both are also fast ethernet routers. If one has any device attached at 100Mbs or less that will also slow them down.