Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sky Fibre Pro & Powerline - any options?

This is a discussion on New Sky Fibre Pro & Powerline - any options? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all, I've recently had Sky Fibre Pro installed coming across from BT Infinity on the Home Hub 5. I've ...

elstevo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New Sky Fibre Pro & Powerline - any options?

Hi all,

I've recently had Sky Fibre Pro installed coming across from BT Infinity on the Home Hub 5.

I've got the SR102 Router installed and have been having woeful speeds and generally an unstable line which I've narrowed down to the powerline setup I've been using, the Zyxel PLA5405.

Everything directly connected to the Hub is fine, pushing 40Mb as I'd expect but upstairs anything connected to the Powerline that speed drops to 1Mb at most and will frequently drop off.

I did a full reset on the Powerline setup but still same issues. Usually I'd say fine just use wireless upstairs on floors 2 and 3 but I've got my NAS and Gaming setups and much prefer the stability of a wired connection. Have many times considered doing a physical cable install but this would likely run into the 100's.

I'd love to know what the actual issue is here but I'm out of ideas as it connects fine but the speeds and the stability are greatly reduced by 80-90% so generally unusable.

Are there any options on the Hub itself which need setting or any custom firmware? Or is it a case of getting a new 3rd party router?
      Managed to grab the sky user/pass and tried on the BT router until I found it was tied to the MAC.

At my wits end as everything worked a charm on the BT Home hub and I'd hate to go back to BT!

Any help much appreciated!!

2. Advertisement
      146Kg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Fibre Pro & Powerline - any options?

Powerlines "hate" mains filters and extension leads. I have had to use a mains socket in another part of the room and use a longer patch lead to avoid exactly the scenario you describe. They are a problem in an adjacent socket to a socket that has a filter plugged into it, or even a socket that is close to a filter. Even an unfiltered extension lead causes this problem.
      Given some seperation from filters mine work just fine, full speed and no dropouts.
      Maybe the SR102 has got a built in/better filter in it's power supply than the B.T. router and this is causing the problem ?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 146Kg For This Useful Post:

elstevo (12-06-16)

elstevo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Fibre Pro & Powerline - any options?

Thanks yea I did consider that, they can be very temperamental at times these Powerlines. I was just really bemused to see such a massive difference between the BT Home Hub and the Sky SR102.

I think I might have fixed the issue though. I left the layout as is yesterday but made 3 changes. I updated the firmware on the PLA5405, removed some currently enabled VMWare adapters present on the network and as my powerline was routing through a switch - instead routed directly to the SkyHub.

I'm inclined to think it was the firmware that did the trick but in case anyone has a similar issue...

Line has been stable and at 90% of full speed for 12 hours so *touch wood* it's resolved.