Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Blocking Xbox from the shy Router ??

This is a discussion on Blocking Xbox from the shy Router ?? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; there's a button on the back that says reset so I'm thinking its that he presses but I will tell ...

lowrider69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Re: Blocking Xbox from the shy Router ??

there's a button on the back that says reset so I'm thinking its that he presses but I will tell him now not to use that anymore and to reset his Xbox instead.

yeah its a Wi-Fi connection to the Xbox he uses which is a usb into the back of the Xbox.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Pressing the reset button for a second or less is not the same as holding it for 10 seconds.

Holding it for 10 seconds will wipe any personalised settings.

As a suggestion (places evil hat on head...) why not consider getting a pair of HomePlugs?

Place the one near the router on a Timer (cackle cackle cackle) and disable the WiFi on the Xbox.

HomePlugs can sometimes be better than WiFi, other times worse. Their performance depends on the quality of the wiring and how the sockets are connected. They can also be affected by outside interference.

One idea for a timer:
      Electronic digital mains Timer Socket Plug-in with LCD Display 12/24 Hour 7 Days: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

BTW: We aren't BSing about the potential damage in the long term about resetting the router, nor about the loss of the potential connection speed. Sky's DLM software will think that there is a line fault if he keeps resetting the connection and slow everything down, meaning that his pings will rise.

If he is misbehaving in some of the games, other users can (it has been known) kick him out or do other things to mess up his ability to play on-line. Resetting the router will not always (actually very rarely now) change the WAN IP Address as most of them are 'sticky' now with Sky.

Basically what I am stating is that he needs to be advised that resetting the router is a very bad thing and that it isn't the device at fault.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers for the advice Scubbie will stop him resetting the router now I know this.

I did think about a remote home plug I tried one last night to see if it would work through a door and it does. never wanted to switch the router off at night to be honest and if I put one on his xbox and just shut it down I heard that does not do the machine much good to shut them down like that as in cutting the supply of power heard its the same with computers as well

by the sound of it turning the router off at night might be my only viable option

Thanks

I was thinking about placing the timer on the HomePlug near to the router.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

think I,m getting my wires mixed lol is a home plug not a plug that's got a timer on it that switches stuff off??

Thanks

lol - My apologies.

The HomePlug system works with 2, 3 or 4 units.

They allow you to utilise your electrical wiring to extend the Ethernet portion of your home network between different parts of your home.

There are a variety of different type and in your case I would be looking at the basic form which essentially has one Ethernet port at each end. One port would be connected via a short Ethernet cable to your Sky router, the other would be connected via an Ethernet cable to the Xbox 360.

By plugging it into a timer switch beside the router (or at least within reach of the router with the Ethernet cable) you would have a physical method of blocking all access via the HomePlugs to the router as the main one would be disconnected.

I've got a couple of timers myself which I used to control the Christmas lights. You can set them so that individual days or groups of days behave differently and you are able to override them too, if required.

An important thing that you need to be aware of is that HomePlugs often get quite warm. The implication being that it needs to be in a place that air can get to it. Also you can't put a HomePlug on a Surge Protected socket or extension.

Exchange:
      Thanks

oh right that's handy to know as well as using that for the xbox I could use one of them to connect my daughters free view box as its only got Ethernet and I wanted to get it online for her but running wires up to her room would be to much trouble as her room is on the wrong side of the house to go up through the ceiling.

so hows it work with more then one?

you plug one in by the router I take it and then I could have 2 units upstairs in there bedrooms plugged in and you just run Ethernet cables from the plugs into whatever you want online?.. cool I defo needs them gadgets lol

Thanks

In most cases the HomePlugs are sold in pairs.

Since they are designed to follow the same protocols, you can 'pair' them together. The limit is 4 per group.

I would suggest getting 500mbps models if you intend to get Fibre. Otherwise 200mbps is the minimum connection speed that is useful. The 200mbps is actually 100mbps in both directions.

Exchange:
      Thanks

ok cheers mate will look into it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12