Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problem after problem

This is a discussion on Problem after problem within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; posting here because I will be referring to stuff in here basically i keep getting cut off all the time ...

Christopher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sacriston
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Problem after problem

posting here because I will be referring to stuff in here

basically i keep getting cut off all the time im still in training period (near the end if not already passed)

I have had this problem twice now, error code 200, CHAP authentication failure. It comes up saying auth failure then 10 minutes later it connects ok then 5 seconds later it disconnects and i get the same authentication error. It happened tonight after my SNR went as low as 4.5dB. This happens every night just about but normally only goes as low as 5dB it happens around 6pm - 9pm (luckily i can get on here now) during the daytime (9am - 4pm) it is solid around 8 or 9dB.

Now i just want to know what the effects of raising my default SNR would be, I am aware the information is out there but it isnt all together.

1)will changing the defauly SNR effect my sunc speed at all?
      2)how much should i raise it by?
      3)will changing the default SNR stop these connection cut outs in the first place?

a reply would be much appreciated. Thanks

Chris

2. Advertisement
      Christopher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sacriston
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

would changing from this netgear router to another router solve the problem? I am also assuming here that the chap username and password are the same as the pppoa username and password (makes sense since chap is part of ppp i think?)

just i keep getting cut off with this error code 200 chap authentication failure error, could it be router related?

Johnny7 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: High Wycombe (SMHY)
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Since you are talking about 'training period' I take you are on Sky Connect?

The chap username and password are the same as the pppoa username and password - ie you have only one username and password.

4.5dB is very low for SNR and almost certainly would result in an unstable connection - aiming for 6.5 as a minimum and then raising if still getting drop-outs would be what I would do.

Posting your stats here might encourage others to reply.

Good Luck!
      John in High Wycombe