Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By RobG

Port forwarding to NAS on 2nd router

This is a discussion on Port forwarding to NAS on 2nd router within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Just switched to Sky Fibre with a SR102 that I ”self installed" (plugged in.. ). This forum has helped me ...

RobG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: sky hub sr102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Port forwarding to NAS on 2nd router

Just switched to Sky Fibre with a SR102 that I ”self installed" (plugged in.. ). This forum has helped me to connect it to my RT-N66U with a Synology NAS attached and it is all working fine at home. So, firstly, Thank You!

Previously, I used the Synology MyDS service (like DynDNS) to access my NAS remotely. I can't figure out how to do that with the new setup. Any help much appreciated on a) is it even possible, and if yes b) how?

Cheers,

Rob

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Using the DLink DIR613.

You most certainly should be able to access your NAS.

Some things to check:

• Ensure that the port forwarding on the RT-N66U is setup correctly and that it is on the correct IP Address
      • DMZ is set up on the Sky Hub SR102 to the IP Address of your RD-N66U
      • The external IP Address of your RT-N66U is the same as what is setup on the SR102 and that you have reserved the address on the SR102

Check too that the correct WAN IP Address is being picked up by the MyDS service. You may be able to get this from the website.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

RobG (22-01-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the quick response!

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

• Ensure that the port forwarding on the RT-N66U is setup correctly and that it is on the correct IP Address
      • Done: RT port forward to the Local IP of the NAS & the correct ports.
      • DMZ is set up on the Sky Hub SR102 to the IP Address of your RD-N66U
      • Not sure: I've set the SR102's DMZ server using the IP Address of the RT's WAN IP address. I.e 192.168.0.254. Is this what you mean?
      • The external IP Address of your RT-N66U is the same as what is setup on the SR102 and that you have reserved the address on the SR102
      • Same answer (which means I'm sure I've misunderstood - sorry): I've set the RT's WAN IP Address to 192.168.0.254 and the SR102's DMZ server to the same address. Just tried to reserve the address on the SR102 and got an "out of range" error.

Check too that the correct WAN IP Address is being picked up by the MyDS service. You may be able to get this from the website.
      The Sky Hub Status page tells me the Broadband Port IP Address is 151.xxx.xx.xxx which is what the NAS DDNS has picked up.
      Still get a "Problem loading page" error when I try to connect remotely.

Thanks

Hello again,

I have moved your posts into a new thread as this could be quickly resolved or it may go on a little and will be easier to follow this way.

So what is working:
      • MyDS is picking up the correct WAN IP Address (151.*.*.*)

What needs checking:

1. Port forwarding on RT-N66U
      2. Reserved IP Address on SR102
      3. DMZ Settings on SR102

Before going any further, can I ask how you are testing the connection to your NAS?

If you are sing the MyDS or actual WAN IP Address when connected to your home network, this does not always work (it should, but often doesn't). You must test the access to your NAS from outside your home network. What I tend to use is an app on my smart phone and access it via 3G.

Having confirmed that you have been using an external connection and it still doesn't work...

So breaking this down a little, what I am thinking is to go through the following steps:

1. Check that you are able to access the NAS from within your home network when connected to the RT-N66U (i.e. 192.168....)
      2. Connect a computer to the SR102 and using the WAN IP Address of the RT-N66U (i.e. 192.168.0.2) see if you can connect to the NAS

There are some other things I am thinking of, but if you could come back with a response to the above I can work out where to go next.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

RobG (23-01-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok - thanks for setting out the approach & moving the thread.

You must test the access to your NAS from outside your home network.
      Tested via 3G on mob and from work network - same result, no connection.

• Check that you are able to access the NAS from within your home network when connected to the RT-N66U (i.e. 192.168....)
      • Cable from PC (wireless off) to RT - I can access the NAS at 192.168 ...
      • Connect a computer to the SR102 and using the WAN IP Address of the RT-N66U (i.e. 192.168.0.2) see if you can connect to the NAS
      • Cable from PC (w/less off) to SR102. 192.168.0.2 gives a "Problem loading page" error. (On the SR102 Attached Devices page, the RT is listed as an "UNKNOWN" device at 192.168.0.2)

There are some other things I am thinking of, but if you could come back with a response to the above I can work out where to go next.
      Thank you!

Thanks

Thank you for the response.

This indicates that the issue is more likely with the RT-N66U router.

For clarification what software are you using to access the NAS, what type of port forwarding are you doing, and which services are you accessing?

For example:
      With my own NAS I have two blocks of ranges set up for port forwarding. The first block covers the GUI (although I don't use it remotely) & FTP. The 2nd block is for the passive ports which are required for FTP.

The defaults for a NAS using FTP are 20 & 21. I don't use these as there are bots out there searching for these ports. You can move these to something between #8000-9999 quie easily. The passive ports can be in a much higher range (i.e. #50,000 - 65,335) as a block of 5-50, depending on how many people are going to access the NAS.

I use Filezilla on my laptops and desktops. On my smart phone I use FTPCafé.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

RobG (25-01-14)

Exchange:
      Thanks

This indicates that the issue is more likely with the RT-N66U router.
      I think the problem is "between" (bad description, I know) the SR102 and the RT-N66U: Cable from PC into SR102, trying to access 192.168.0.1 also gives a "Problem loading page error".

Before switching to Sky Fibre, the RT-N66U worked fine plugged into an ADSL modem: Ports were forwarded to the NAS and remote access worked perfectly.

What type of port forwarding are you doing, and which services are you accessing?
      Same as my previous setup (where all was well!):
      443 -> 443 : Web applications
      5001 -> 5001 : GUI & mobile apps
      5006 -> 5006 : WebDAV

Depending on how many people are going to access the NAS.
      Just me, so basic set up is fine.

I use Filezilla on my laptops and desktops. On my smart phone I use FTPCafé.
      Previously (before Sky Fibre) I accessed the NAS remotely using Synology's DSM via an external brower. Also set up NetDrive, but used it infrequently.
      Next step for me - I'll plug the NAS straight into the SR102 and set up P/F on the SR102 just to check it all works without the RT-N66U. I'll report back...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update: plugging the NAS straight into the SR102 works ok. I've set up port forwarding & can access the NAS on my home network and remotely via the SR102 WAN address.

I'd still love to get it to work with the RT-N66U though - will try to figure it out!
      Scubbie likes this.