Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Mislaid router

This is a discussion on Mislaid router within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I recently changed ISP from Sky. A new router was installed and it was two or three days before I ...

steveob is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01932
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Mislaid router

I recently changed ISP from Sky. A new router was installed and it was two or three days before I noticed that I could not find my Sky router. However, because of problems with the new ISP, I am still paying Sky for Broadband and calls, even though I am not using Sky to access the internet at the moment. Because of the problems, I may decide to return to Sky for my complete package. Is it possible that I could contact Sky, although that seems quite difficult, and find out whether my router is currently being used? I still have the SSID. Obviously, Sky still think I have a router and would probably want to charge me for a replacement.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Mislaid router

I don't think Sky would be able to check as you don't have a broadband account, so they may not have the functions available. The only real way would be to call and ask?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Is it possible that I could contact Sky, although that seems quite difficult, and find out whether my router is currently being used? I still have the SSID.
      By 'mislaid' do you mean stolen? If so that is a job for the Police, not Sky. I very much doubt the router could be traced using the SSID, you would need the MAC address or Serial Number. Even then they may not be prepared to do anything as it would probably cost more than the router is worth. If it has been stolen there is also a good chance it is being used with a different ISP, in which case Sky could do nothing. If you are returning within 12 months, Sky will want you to use your old router or buy a new one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks Isitme. I suspected it may not be possible to trace it and also that Sky would expect me to buy a new one. I used the word "mislaid" advisedly prior to taking the matter further. Incidentally, I still have my old Dell router. Can other routers work with Sky and if so, where do I find the settings?

Thanks again.

steveob

Thanks

Before you can use another router with Sky you need the username and password out of your Sky router. As you don't have it this will not be possible. You could pick up a Sky router cheaply on eBay. These nearly always will connect, but very occasionally they are blacklisted and wont connect, its a chance you take.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks again Isitme and TomD. I still have the original box with the serial number, SSID and network key and can probably guess the username and password if different. I did look on EBay and there are quite a few variations on the router much cheaper than a new one from Sky. Mine was a Sagem 2504. If necessary, would it be wise to by similar or would it make no difference? As you say, buying on Ebay is a chance you take. I also changed my computer to 64 bit Win 7 so Sky may not recognise it. Is that a problem?

Thanks again for your replies.

steveob

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You can get the 2504n from Sky for 35 brand new.

If you have the choice on eBay I would get one of them for sure, pretty good, solid router for me so far.

There is a new router coming out, Sky Hub SR101 and it is approx 39 if we believe various rumoured prices.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

I still have the original box with the serial number, SSID and network key and can probably guess the username and password
      You have not got a snowball's chance of guessing the password, but if you have the MAC and network key, you can obtain it from here - http://www.cm9.net/skypass/

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thanks again Isitme. Am waiting for a response from the new ISP before going any further. Your comments have been most helpful.

steveob