Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Will this solution work?!

This is a discussion on Will this solution work?! within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I am going around and around in circles trying to get my home network up and running. I have basic ...

mightymuff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Will this solution work?!

I am going around and around in circles trying to get my home network up and running. I have basic knowledge of how things work but hopefully I can get some advice here before I waste even more money!

I recently bought a 2 floor flat in an old building with big thick walls which means getting a wifi signal to get from my router (upstairs) to my PC (downstairs) has been difficult. My PC is also under a desk with a fair bit of metal work surrounding so I am looking to use a wired connection really but it's way to far to cable from router -> PC.

To compound matters my ISP is SKY and I didn't know until AFTER I bought a new modem & router (E4200 v2 - unfortunately) that you can only use their router to connect to the internet!

So I have tried to use the sky router just as a modem basically by following the great guide posted in this thread : http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

I have now disabled the wireless on the sky router so all my wireless devices are now connected to the E4200 and everything is working nicely (apart from the weak signal downstairs).

So to my bigger issue. I want to have a repeater/bridge downstairs that I can plug my PC in with an Ethernet cable, wifi devices default too if the signal is stronger than my E4200 and it will connect to my E4200 wirelessly. To do this I was going to buy a new router (was looking at RT-N66U but that doesn't seem to be released in the UK yet, or an RT-N16) install the WW-WRT onto it and then set it as a repeater/bridge.

Will it work? Does it matter that the E4200 isn't technically the primary router? If it will/won't work are there better options?

Really need some help on this one so any info that is provided would be much appreciated! Also apologies for the long post but I wanted to get as much detail in as possible!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

Re: Will this solution work?!

You should be able to connect a WiFi extender to the E4200 without any problems.

If you are looking to purchase a WiFi extender to do the job, why not consider one of these: WN2500RP#

It supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi. It only supports up to 300mbps on the WiFi though.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mightymuff (22-05-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You should be able to connect a WiFi extender to the E4200 without any problems.

If you are looking to purchase a WiFi extender to do the job, why not consider one of these: WN2500RP#

It supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi. It only supports up to 300mbps on the WiFi though.

Thanks for the reply.

The main reason I have avoided the extender type products is because of the issues I'm getting with the wireless on my PC. During gaming I keep getting lag spikes. I've tried 2 different network adapters, both PCI with external arieals and still get issues so I thought that using the wired option and having the bridge/repeater away from my PC/Desk would hopefully stop the issues (the PC works fine fully wired atm).

Someone has suggested using a ethernet over power extender in order to connect a router downstairs, but I really don't want to have to use my sky router since it doesn't support the 5ghz N band

I'm kind of going around in circles! :P

EDIT: I see that I can actaully wire in my PC to the netgear and have that connected remotely to the E4200 upstairs. How does the extenders work in terms of networks, does it run 1 network in the house so that if i walked from upstairs to downstairs the connection auto switches to the stronger signal or will they both have 2 different SSIDs and you need to reconnect depending on where you are?

Thanks

IMHO, since you are looking at the best possible performance when gaming on-line, I would suggest that you consider installing a long Cat 5e Ethernet cable. You could router this behind the walls and fit a wall socket to keep it looking tidy.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymuff View Post
      Someone has suggested using a ethernet over power extender in order to connect a router downstairs, but I really don't want to have to use my sky router since it doesn't support the 5ghz N band
      I did think of this, but thought that you may have considered it already. However you could connect another device (i.e. the WN2500RP) to the other end. HomePlugs are good and you would need to find one that is capable or working up to either 500mbs or 1Gbit in order to make the most of your 1Gbit connection to the E4200.

I'm kind of going around in circles! :P
      Only when you can't turn left on the roundabout .

EDIT: I see that I can actaully wire in my PC to the netgear and have that connected remotely to the E4200 upstairs. How does the extenders work in terms of networks, does it run 1 network in the house so that if i walked from upstairs to downstairs the connection auto switches to the stronger signal or will they both have 2 different SSIDs and you need to reconnect depending on where you are?
      If you use the same SSIDs and security settings on two different APs/routers, then select different channels on each and all should be just fine. Windows 7 & Vista may initially see them as different networks, but you can merge the two together.

As a slightly different take on this, have you considered getting a high-end Cable router? Connect it to the Sagem using an Ethernet port on the Sagem and the WAN Ethernet port on the Cable router. Your E4200 could then be placed downstairs and the router could control your whole LAN.

By configuring it as shown in the link below, you would be virtually free of the Sky router's limitations. The Sky router would be left virtually to work just as a Modem.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mightymuff (22-05-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

IMHO, since you are looking at the best possible performance when gaming on-line, I would suggest that you consider installing a long Cat 5e Ethernet cable. You could router this behind the walls and fit a wall socket to keep it looking tidy.
      Unfortunatley this isn't an option, the distance is prohibitive, it's an old house so really thick walls and we have only recently had it all replastered and finished decorating! :P It would be my ideal solution!

I did think of this, but thought that you may have considered it already. However you could connect another device (i.e. the WN2500RP) to the other end. HomePlugs are good and you would need to find one that is capable or working up to either 500mbs or 1Gbit in order to make the most of your 1Gbit connection to the E4200.
      Eventually I will be running a NAS, 2 wireless DLNA TVs and numerous wirless devices, it's only really the PC that I will need wired that is too far away from the router, so technically I suppose I could use an ethernet over power extender just for the PC and leave the rest wireless.

Only when you can't turn left on the roundabout .
      That's what I feel like currently!

If you use the same SSIDs and security settings on two different APs/routers, then select different channels on each and all should be just fine. Windows 7 & Vista may initially see them as different networks, but you can merge the two together.
      That makes sense! Thanks.

As a slightly different take on this, have you considered getting a high-end Cable router? Connect it to the Sagem using an Ethernet port on the Sagem and the WAN Ethernet port on the Cable router. Your E4200 could then be placed downstairs and the router could control your whole LAN.

By configuring it as shown in the link below, you would be virtually free of the Sky router's limitations. The Sky router would be left virtually to work just as a Modem.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

How can I get the E4200 and the cable modem connected though, I was under the impression you couldn't create a wireless bridge with the E4200 as standard and the v2 that I have is not compatible with DD-WRT firmware.

Currently I'm torn between just using the powerline option just for my PC and going for a netgear extender in order to get the extra wifi boost downstairs

Thanks for the help so far though, much appreciated.

Thanks

Ethernet cable can be as long as 100m and maintain the connection speed (cat 5e=up to 1Gbit, Cat 6=up to 10Gbit). Obviously I don't know the build of your property, but you could run a cable outside and back in through another point. If you did this then ensure that you use Ethernet cable rated for use outside.

With regards to the wireless bridge, I don't know the E4200. I was thinking along the following lines:

Sky Router --> Short Ethernet Cable --> High-end Cable Router --> Long Ethernet Cable --> E4200

Alternatively:
      Sky Router --> Short Ethernet Cable --> High-end Cable Router --> Pair of HomePlugs (500mb or 1Gbit) --> E4200

I realise that you are trying to get the following set up:

Sky Router --> Short Ethernet Cable --> E4200 --> WiFi connection --> AP (could be cable router with DD WRT firmware)

What I am suggesting is that the WiFi link will slow the connection down. Currently you have an ADSL connection, but it is intended to get everyone on to a connection speed greater than 30mbps by 2020, with over 50% on connections exceeding 100mbps.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ethernet cable can be as long as 100m and maintain the connection speed (cat 5e=up to 1Gbit, Cat 6=up to 10Gbit). Obviously I don't know the build of your property, but you could run a cable outside and back in through another point. If you did this then ensure that you use Ethernet cable rated for use outside.

With regards to the wireless bridge, I don't know the E4200. I was thinking along the following lines:

Sky Router --> Short Ethernet Cable --> High-end Cable Router --> Long Ethernet Cable --> E4200

Alternatively:
      Sky Router --> Short Ethernet Cable --> High-end Cable Router --> Pair of HomePlugs (500mb or 1Gbit) --> E4200

I realise that you are trying to get the following set up:

Sky Router --> Short Ethernet Cable --> E4200 --> WiFi connection --> AP (could be cable router with DD WRT firmware)

What I am suggesting is that the WiFi link will slow the connection down. Currently you have an ADSL connection, but it is intended to get everyone on to a connection speed greater than 30mbps by 2020, with over 50% on connections exceeding 100mbps.
      The flat is laid out very strange so laying the cable would be practically impossible without having to spend a lot of money trying to bury cables in walls or up in the ceiling to avoid the laminate flooring in order to get through to the kitchen then down stairs. Obviously it would be my ideal solution but I can't think of a cost effective way to get it done, and can't really justify redoing the walls a month after they have been complete Alternatively I could look at trying to get a cable into the ceiling cavity but that took an electrican most of the day to pass an earthing cable through bascially the same route when we had our electircs done, I don't fancy getting another guy back to try the same ;D

I have decided to go with some 200mbit plugs to just connect my PC (the actual throughput is supposed to be around 40Mbit), they were relaitively cheap so I can atleast see if this solution works first. If it does work and we get significant issues with other wireless devices as more are intorduced to the flat then I will probably look at upgrating to the 500 (or higher) MBit plugs and stick one of the netgear extenders you suggested on the end. Then I can still wire my PC in but will have much stronger wifi signal downstairs.

Thanks for all your advice is has been really useful.