Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do Sky supply QoS supported routers ?

This is a discussion on Do Sky supply QoS supported routers ? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I desperately need some control over the kids computers on the network ( bandwidth limits etc ). But I cannot ...

sackspud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Do Sky supply QoS supported routers ?

I desperately need some control over the kids computers on the network (bandwidth limits etc).

But I cannot afford to use a third party router and risk Sky cancelling my account. Alternatively is there any way to bridge a QoS router to my existing Sky Sagem unit ?

Any ideas appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Do Sky supply QoS supported routers ?

In all the years that it has been being done, no one has had their account cancelled for using their own router. There are probably thousands using their own router. The only time accounts have been suspended are for non payment and when a virus/trojan is detected.

If you want to join another router to the Sky one, look here-
      http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

I would be tempted to use a Cable router as the 2nd router. There is a link further down the first page of the thread that Tom has linked you to that shows how to connect up one of these.

By just linking in a 2nd router in the way my own document describes, the primary router is in control of the QoS settings.

If you were to have a Cable router connected via it's WAN port to the primary router, it would have complete control of it's own LAN and any QoS settings applied to the Cable router would be applicable to it's LAN & access to the Internet.

The Cable router thread I am referring to is this one: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...nk-dir613.html

Cable routers can often be a little cheaper than ADSL routers as they have less inside them.

Before picking up a specific router, do check around the Internet forums for any specific discussions on it. Available QoS settings vary between brands and models.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for you replys. But after a rethink and finding a spare Belkin router can I do the following.

Example : I want connection of the kids phones, tablets etc via Wifi to the Belkin router. Then I want that router connected via LAN (or cable ) to my Sky Sagem router. Then when the clock strikes 9pm, I can switch of the Belkin router and disconnet the kids while leaving the sky router connected for the adults.

Can this be done ?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,240 Times in 2,103 Posts

One uncomplicated way to do this would be to plug the Belkin router into a timer switch, that is physically out of their reach.

The only disadvantage is that we specifically recommend that routers are left powered up 24/7 as repeated switching on/off can damage the circuitry.

Another option would be to use a pair of HomePlugs, with the one near where your children are being a HomePlug with WiFi built-in. Again this could be connected to a timer switch, or perhaps the other HomePlug in the pair could be on a timer switch.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

I don't think the Belkin router needs to be physically switched off. Most good routers have a facility to switch off the wireless/lan according to a schedule. However if your kids have much PC knowledge they will probably be able to connect direct to the Sky router. To prevent this you would have to set up a Wireless Access list on the Sky router, which would prevent the connection of unauthorised wireless clients. This would not stop them connecting by ethernet, so both routers would have to be out of their reach.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The Sky router is setup with an access list . Switching the Belkin on and off is not an issue. Its the physical connection between the Belkin and the Sagem.

The kids would be conncted to the Belkin via Wifi and the Adults would be connected to the Sagem by Wifi.

Note* I've switched all routers off and on at least twice a day since around 2001 and never had a failure .

Thanks

Its the physical connetion between the belkin and the Sagem.
      It can be connected either by ethernet cable(preferred and cheapest) or by homeplugs, whichever you like.

The wireless access list should exclude the kids devices, so do not enter them on the the list. The only problem you might experience is interference between the 2 routers. It depends on the networks in use in your area, but you can usually overcome this by keeping them at least 4 channels apart.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It can be connected either by ethernet cable(preferred and cheapest) or by homeplugs, whichever you like. .
      The two routers will sit close to each other. Is it a case of connecting one ethernet cable from one of the four ports on the belkin to one of the four on the sagem ?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post

The wireless access list should exclude the kids devices, so do not enter them on the the list. art.
      On the Sagem only the adults will be in the access list. The Belkin will have its own access list ( to add extra security from outside) and that will only have the kids mac address's entered.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

sky dont supply qos routers unless you buy a non sky router like a netgear belkin dreytek etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast