Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By fuzzy logic

Limiting wireless access through sky router?

This is a discussion on Limiting wireless access through sky router? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hey - new member here so hoping for some help. I have the free sky broadband package (base I think) ...

jjm69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: waterlooville
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Limiting wireless access through sky router?

Hey - new member here so hoping for some help.

I have the free sky broadband package (base I think) as I'm so far from the exchange the best speed we can get is <2 meg.

We have the white sky Netgear router.

My kids have Nintendo DSi or Ipod Touch which connect to the 'net via wireless. Turning their computers off at bedtime etc is OK, but I want to be able to schedule access to the 'net via these hand held devices.

I've found them reading/ chatting on MSN etc in the early hours. I can play the heavy and confiscate the devices but I would rather use the router to schedule times when they can have 'net access on the hand held devices.

I can just turn off the router but that stops me working on my laptop late in the evening.

I can see a schedule command in the router software that allows either all or nothing access but not anything that lets me just schedule individual devices. A friend claims to be able to do this with his BT router.

Please any help would be useful. I've tried looking at the forum but didn't see anything helpful.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Limiting wireless access through sky router?

Shamefully the Sky router has very basic settings to allow you to limit such activity.

The router you have (according to your profile) is the white Netgear, which was the first ADSL router Sky supplied.

Later models have the same basic controls.

You may wish to look at getting a new router and using this instead of the Sky router. It is possible to extract the log in details from the Sky router.

Whilst this is technically against Sky's T&Cs, it would give you the opportunity to get a WiFi n rated router with improved parental controls.

Details of how to do all this are described elsewhere in this forum.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sky routers do have a basic feature to block sites at specific times. You will find it in the router setting, Security tab, Block sites. This can be used in conjunction with the Schedule to block access at selected times. I think the easiest way to do this is to type in http and https as keywords. Test it by putting these words into the blocked words, click apply, select Always in the schedule and then try to navigate to another site. You should get a black/red screen telling you the site is blocked. Now go back and put your PCs IPaddress into the Trusted IP address space. Test again and you should be able to go on line. You can now set up the Schedule with the times you want the net blocked.

For this to work properly, you will have to reserve the IP address of your PC in the Reserved list of the router, so that no other device can use the address to overcome the blocking..

Maybe others can suggest more words to put in the block,.
      Last edited by Isitme; 22-06-11 at 01:00 PM.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

The DG team firmware for the 834GT has a lot of extended schedule options.

Thanks

Hey - thanks for the replies.

This DG team screen shot looks interesting. Would I have to flash my router with it to upgrade the firmware? Will this cause problem with my T and C from Sky?

I suspose if I assigned all of the mobile devices fixed ip addresses could I use firewall scheduling to control when they access the network?? Is this easy to do??

cheers for the advice so far.

Jeremy

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I think what I would do, is assign fixed IP addresses on the router for the devices that you don't want to block (LAN IP Setup-> Address reservation). If you assign a sequential set of neighbouring IP addresses (ie no gaps) to the devices you want to allow, it will simplify the firewall rules.

Then add an outbound firewall rule to always allow the address range of the adults' devices:-

Service: any(all),
      Action: Allow always,
      Lan users: address range (or single if you only want to allow unrestricted access to one device),

Lan Users Start Adress: the reserved IP address of first device you want to always allow.
      Finish address: the reserved IP address of last device you want to always allow.

Wan users: any.
      Log: never.

Now add a second outbound rule for all LAN IP addresses to only allow by schedule:-

Service: any(all),
      Action: Allow by Schedule, otherwise block.
      Lan users: Any
      Wan: users any.
      Log: never.

Now make sure the first (always allow) rule you added is above the second (allow by Schedule rule) rule, and move if necessary.

The kids could still get around this by setting their devices MAC or IP addresses to one of the addresses of the devices you've allowed, provided that device is not in use at the time.
      Last edited by fuzzy logic; 23-06-11 at 01:04 PM.
      Exdee likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Two things to add to Fuzzy's excellent advice:

1. Change the default router password on the router to one that your children do not know and would never guess
      2. Once everything has been sorted, back up the settings so that should someone press the reset button, you can quickly recover everything.

Before installing the DG Team firmware, extract the login details from this site:

https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Exdee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSXXX
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Fuzzy has given you a very decent explanation of how to do this. I haven't really read the T&C's so can't comment on the flashing custom firmware on a sky router side of things. If you wan't a different schedule for some days then others (like weekends) then the dgteam firmware would be suitable. Otherwise the sky firmware should suffice.

Thanks

WOW - thanks for the great advice and support esp Fuzzy.

I'll give that a go and see what happens, I'll get back as soon as I've done it to let you all know how it went.

I'd rather try the fixed IP route first before attempting flashing the firmware from DGteam.

thanks again
      Jeremy

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I know it says you have in your Profile, but do you really have the DG834GT(the white router)? If so and it has been getting used continuously, it is probably not far from failing. You might want to consider buying a router capable of what you want to do, plus give you a better wireless performance. If it is the GT you will have no problem connecting a non Sky router. As it is not capable of MER it will still be on PPPoA and is likely to stay that way.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.