Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Bridge Wireless Connections Belkin + Netgear

This is a discussion on Bridge Wireless Connections Belkin + Netgear within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all, Hope your all well, has anyone successfully linked up a Netgear DG834GT Router with a Belkin Wireless G ...

angus1972 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Bridge Wireless Connections Belkin + Netgear

Hi all,

Hope your all well, has anyone successfully linked up a Netgear DG834GT Router with a Belkin Wireless G F5D7633-4 as an access point or even a wireless bridge.

I have the Netgear downstairs pluged into the desktop all working great, I want to use the Belkin either as an access point or bridge the Netgear with the Belkin.

Here's the problem, the Netgear doesn't have either a repeater function or a bridge function (prob due to the sky firmware)

Questions:
      1. Could I try a downgrade of firmware for the sky router netgear which is a lower number from the netgear website and made I would have bridging options, anyone tried this?

2. I had to upgrade my Belkin firmware to have Wirless Bridging Options and when I do the search for access points it finds the Sky Router downstairs but my gut tells me that that it's the Belkin that should be the main router and connected to the ethernet and deskstop downstairs then I need to take the sky router upstairs and link up with sky router? Is that right? i.e. is there a need to switch the routers around to use the Netgear as the access point?

I've got to the point where the router downstairs is assigning the default 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway and 192.168.0.2 to my laptop and the Belkin router's IP address is 192.168.0.254, it states connected and I'm able to ping the default gateway without issue, (just came into my mind, I havent tried pinging my laptop from the desktop downstairs yet)

When I try connecting to the internet wireless through the Belkin, it al goes sideways, turn of the Belkin router and then (I have to restart the laptop everytime) tried all to avoid restart, then it works again. Whats interesting is that the IP addressing is the same when its working with the sky router downstairs wirelessly that it is when the Belkin is switched on.

Any guidance would be helpful.

P.s. not interested in Homeplugs and longer cables, only want wiresless

A

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Bridge Wireless Connections Belkin + Netgear

The Sky Firmware doesn't allow Wireless Bridging, hence the standard advice is to use HomePlugs or a long Ethernet Cable. This is an annoying limitation I'm afraid.

I personally don't have the router that you have, so I couldn't comment on any non-Sky Firmware.

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to use the HomePlugs? Perhaps we could help to allay your fears?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You will have to use a dedicated range extender such as this - TP-Link TL-WA730RE 150MBPS Wireless Lite N Range Extender, Atheros, 1T1R, 2.4GHz: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories The GT, even with the latest Netgear firmware will not do what you want.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have just updated a GT with DGTeam firmware and it does support wireless bridging. However it appears that it only supports WEP security.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.