Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pre set speed ??

This is a discussion on Pre set speed ?? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; The figures will be megabits per second. The 200 will be 100 each way and the 71 is probably 35.5 ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Pre set speed ??

The figures will be megabits per second. The 200 will be 100 each way and the 71 is probably 35.5 each way. I don't really know why the second figure should be so low, it has nothing to do with the internet, that is the speed your PC is communicating with the router, which is far higher than your internet speed. Are both plugged directly into wall sockets or are they in trailing extensions?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      shake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Huyton
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

The one connected to the router is in a socket of its own . The one to the PC is in a 3 way adapter direct into a socket. The adapter feeds the homeplug, a printer and a trailing extension which feeds power to the pc, another printer a speaker system and a monitor.

Thanks

The one to the PC is in a 3 way adapter direct into a socket.
      That may be the problem. Is there anyway you can plug it into a socket on its own? This is one good reason to go for the type that have a through power connection, like this Solwise HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Ethernet Adapter W/ Simple Connect & Mains Through (Single Adapter) NET-PL-200AV-PIGGY_MK2

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Just tried the upstairs one on an extension lead from the landing and no change.

Tried the one in its own socket (downstairs) on an extension lead to a socket in the kitchen and now the figures are Local 3 bars 200 and remote 3 bars and 164.

The previous occupant of the house was a keen DIY er and I suspect not very good at electrics. He has installed extra sockets all over the place including the ones by the router.

My problem is that all the sockets around the tv/router/master telephone socket are all DIY and give give the low reading. To get the higher reading I needed to go to the kitchen using an extension lead trailing over the front room which is not a permanent solution.

Thanks

It looks like he has installed spurs linked to the main which will reduce the efficiency. They should work OK with your internet connection as they are giving a much higher speed than you get from it. You could try a speedtest at http://www.skyuser.co.uk/speedtester/ using the plugs, then one connected direct to your router and compare the results.

The only time the lower speed would come into play is if you were using the plugs to transfer files within your network.

TomD

Useful Utilites

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

shake (19-03-11)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

One of the issues that could also be causing you problems is the circuitry in your fuse box. If there is surge protection there, then you need to look at changing your wiring options.

HomePlugs do not work well on Surge Protected Extension leads. In their instructions they specifically advise against being used on them. If the previous occupant fitted surge protection elsewhere in your wiring, then this could be the cause of your problems.

To confirm that it definitely is a wiring issue, plug the two HomePlugs next to each other in a double socket on the wall.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

The home plugs would not physically fit in a double socket due to the ADSL lead coming out of the side but I did try them (downstairs using my laptop) in adjacent sockets one of which seems to be a DIY extension of the other. The readings where Local 3 bars 200 and remote 3 bars and 178.

Reverted to Local 3 bars 200 and Remote 2 bars and 56 when I put the upstairs one back upstairs.

No surge protection that I know of. The house is circa 1975 with wire fuses in the main box. I have replaced these with trip switches. The ones that just plug in in place of the original wired fuse.

Thanks

From what Tom & yourself have posted, it does appear to be a poor setup where you are for transmitting the radio frequency through the electrical wiring.

Since you are unable to prove/disprove the HomePlugs in your own home, I might be tempted to take them elsewhere (i.e. a friend or relative's home) to give them one final test. This is just to confirm things.

I'm not a qualified electrician and I know that they would charge a fair amount to do this, but my final suggestion would be to get someone to inspect your wiring. This may result in someone having to correctly wire up things.

The wiring in a home built in c1975 should be fine. If the DIY enthusiast used proper 3-Core flex and connectors, then everything should be safe and secure.

It might be that one particular socket hasn't been wired up correctly which is causing the problem.

If it helps, HomePlugs work elsewhere where there is no earth connection. So I would expect the issue to be on either the Live or Negative wires.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Thanks for that Scubbie (where does the name come from?) but I am now sure it is the house wiring.

If I leave the H/plug (Local) connected to the upstairs PC, disconnect the ethernet from the remote h/plug I lose the internet to the PC but the homeplug network still shows. I can then move the remote h/plug around the sockets and get the connection speeds for each socket in turn on the PC.

The electrical sockets by the telephone master socket are all bad at 26 to 56. Other sockets in the front room are around the100. The best socket in the house is the kitchen at 192. All these figures are more or less repeatable.

I am now back to the original socket and the speed has dropped to 47. I think the easiest option is to use the other front room socket by either running an ethernet cable from the h/plug in that socket round one wall hiding it under the carpet or running an electrical extension round one wall to the homeplug.

Thanks

As I implied in my previous post, not knowing the precise cause of the problem, it would be hard to guess the solution.

If I were a qualified electrician I might have some clearer idea about what to look for.

Isitme suggested that the additional sockets might be spurs. If this is the case, it might pay to double check the quality of the cabling on at least one of the sockets.

Quote Originally Posted by shake View Post
      (where does the name come from?)
      Some might say 'She doesn't have a Scubbie' others might blame Jacques Cousteau.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast