Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connecting a D-Link DNS-323 NAS

This is a discussion on Connecting a D-Link DNS-323 NAS within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi there oh knowledgeable good samaritans! I hope someone here will be able to point me in the right direction? ...

sterk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Connecting a D-Link DNS-323 NAS

Hi there oh knowledgeable good samaritans!

I hope someone here will be able to point me in the right direction? Whilst I am reasonably ok with computers in general, I have never tried to do much with networking. So I seem to have left my comfort zone here.

I have a Sagem router and now want to connect my recently acquired NAS and to setup a network of sorts to actually use it.

When I connect the NAS to the router, I get the router's lights showing a connection, but cannot see the NAS on the attached items list, or see the NAS from my pc. If I connect the NAS directly to my pc, I can see it but cannot set the ip address (fails dhcp) - this I assume is because it is then not connected to the router/ network?

Is there some basic step/s I am missing in setting this up? It really is doing my head in!

Any help really very much appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Connecting a D-Link DNS-323 NAS

To see the IP address of anything connected to your router, you can look at your router.

Type 192.168.0.1 into the address line of an Internet Browser.

Enter the username: admin

and password: Sky

Click on the heading 'Attached Devices'

On this screen you will see a number of items listed by their IP address. Your PC will probably be identified by it's name. The NAS may be listed by a name or as 'UNKNOWN'.

You should be able to progress from here.

There are a variety of different NAS products out there, so check any manual that came with it. I'm surprised that there isn't a 'name' or other address that you can enter to locate the drive.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply

Problem is, when I connect the NAS, it doesn't show on the attached devices screen! Although the router light does show a connection for the cable in question.

Because I can't get it to show, I can't start any settings or formatting etc.

Thanks

What is the full make & model number? Perhaps someone else may know how to find it by name.

I would also expect your router to allocate it the next sequential number. To make it easier, switch off your router , disconnect the NAS & any other network device on the router.

Switch on your router.

Connect your PC (it will now have the address 192.168.0.2)

Connect the NAS device (it will now have the address 192.168.0.3)

Sorry if this looks like you're taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but it will work, so long as no one in your home tries to connect via WiFi.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that.

The NAS is a D-Link DNS-323 Sharecenter Twin.

I am pretty sure I have tried the steps you mention, but I will give it a go again.

Also thought I should mention, I was given a Netgear WNHDE111 Access Point to try connect - both to improve wifi connectivity for upstairs in the house and as a possible connection point for the NAS. The router cannot see this either or show it on the attached items list - although connecting a laptop to the (connected) access point using ethernet did allow internet access, so something is working.

Thanks

Have you installed the software on your 'ShareCenter Pulse CD'?

Just in case you haven't read through the manuals yet, they are available here:

ShareCenter Pulse 1TB (DNS-320-1TB): 2-bay Network Storage Enclosure (1x 1 Tbyte HDD included) - Technical support D-Link

Also these two pieces are from the Quick Installation Guide:

5. Remove the ShareCenter Pulse CD from the package and insert it into your computer.
      Important: Ensure that your Internet connection is active. Do not connect any USB storage devices yet.
      6. Click the gray Start button on the welcome screen to begin the Setup Wizard. Follow the instructions on the screen.
      Default IP: Determined by DHCP
      Default Username: admin
      Default Password: (leave this blank)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

, I can see it but cannot set the ip address (fails dhcp) - this I assume is because it is then not connected to the router/ network?
      This may be because it is set as a DHCP server. Plug it into your PC, look for a place to disable the DHCP server and change its IP address to 192.168.0.254. (If there is space for it make the subnet 255.255.255.0 and the gateway 192.168.0.1) Plug it into the router it should be recognised.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scubbie
      Have you installed the software on your 'ShareCenter Pulse CD'?

Just in case you haven't read through the manuals yet, they are available here:

ShareCenter Pulse 1TB (DNS-320-1TB): 2-bay Network Storage Enclosure (1x 1 Tbyte HDD included) - Technical support D-Link

Also these two pieces are from the Quick Installation Guide:

Quote:
      5. Remove the ShareCenter Pulse CD from the package and insert it into your computer.
      Important: Ensure that your Internet connection is active. Do not connect any USB storage devices yet.
      6. Click the gray Start button on the welcome screen to begin the Setup Wizard. Follow the instructions on the screen.
      Default IP: Determined by DHCP
      Default Username: admin
      Default Password: (leave this blank)
      Tried the above, but I cannot format the NAS on the network because the router can't/ won't see it and if I connect it directly to the pc I am using the only network connection on the pc and cannot access the internet! Catch 22!

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      This may be because it is set as a DHCP server. Plug it into your PC, look for a place to disable the DHCP server and change its IP address to 192.168.0.254. (If there is space for it make the subnet 255.255.255.0 and the gateway 192.168.0.1) Plug it into the router it should be recognised.
      That reply came from the enclosed software when I tried to update this and reset the ip address (plugged direct into the pc - I assumed it didn't work because I wasn't connected to the router as well). The subnet and gateway details wouldn't accept either.

Sod it, I am sending this back - there must be some other issue here and I have little enough hair as it is!

If I manage to pluck some patience from somewhere, I'll give this a try again.

Thanks

You mentioned that you also have an issue with your Netgear WNHDE111.

Could you assure us that this has been switched off?

Concentrate on one thing at a time, but you might want to click the link below to get the Netgear working and return to the drive afterwards:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

In the process, double check the IP address for your Sky router (details in the guide).

On the previous message that I posted, I provided a link to the web page with links to the manual for your NAS. Read through it carefully once more before returning to your NAS.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks - yes, I did realise I was better off sorting out 1 thing at a time! So the Access Point has definitely been disconnected when trying to get the NAS to work.

I think you are right as well, in that it might be better for my nerves to leave the NAS for a moment and focus on the AP instead. Perhaps sorting that will answer a question I didn't realise needed answering

Thanks for that guide, I'll give it a thorough read first.