Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

no device names shown

This is a discussion on no device names shown within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; i have just noticed that my sky dlink 2640 router has stopped showing the names of devices that are connected ...

lgrenter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

no device names shown

i have just noticed that my sky dlink 2640 router has stopped showing the names of devices that are connected wirelessly to it. it used to but now the device name box for each is shown as empty. i am a bit worried as there seems to be an ip address shown that i cannot account for ( its not my pc, laptop, ipod or xbox). how do i get the router to show names once again. tried rebooting but no luck.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: no device names shown

further to my post above, this morning the router pages now show my devices as normal apart from 1 which i cannot account for. checked through security settings and it is listed on the UPNP page as enabled, protocol-UDP, int.port 57420-57420, ext port- 57420-57420, and it then gives an ip address that is listed on my devices but given no names. my security settings are as they were when i received the box, not changed anything. could someone have got access that i do no know about? have checked my network map in windows and no device is shown.if someone is stealing access how do i remove or block this device?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The easiest way is to use MAC filtering, this would then only allow authorised MAC addresses to use the router via wireless.

Just put a tick in the mac filtering box and allow the devices you recognise, then find out if any are not working, if they all are then do not enable the unknown one until you figure out what it is.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

These are ports used by Utorrent. Are you using that?

As Smithy says, set up MAC filtering by using the Wireless Access list. You should also change your network Key. With the Dlink you will be able to use WPA2, which is unbreakable by the average hacker.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

nope, never used utorrent at all. not even in use on laptop we have! how do i go about either blocking this ip access? do i have to set up the access list for all my devices? u say about changing the network key and encryption code, how do i do this?just checked router settings, the security is already set to WPA/WPA2 using the code that was supplied with the router.
      Last edited by lgrenter; 17-10-10 at 11:00 AM. Reason: more info

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Change the code that is on the label of the router to something completely different and if possible alpha-numeric. If you turn on MAC filtering and specify the MAC of each unit that you want to connect then only those devices can connect no matter what.

Thanks

thanks, followed the advice and have put all my devices onto the access table using their MAC codes.no sign of the rogue address this weekend tho, strangely the people that live next door have also been away! coincidence? i wonder if this was linked to the other problem that i posted about in which in the evenings my laptop would loose its connection ie it would be connected but access would be incredibly slow?

Thanks

i wonder if this was linked to the other problem that i posted about in which in the evenings my laptop would loose its connection ie it would be connected but access would be incredibly slow?
      That's quite possible, especially with the possibility that torrents were in use. Uncontrolled torrenting can stop even the best connection stone dead.

Have you also changed your network key? MAC filtering will stop the casual piggybacker but it can be overcome quite easily by a clever hacker.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

sorry to sound like a noob, how do i do that? if i change the key do i need to have a laptop on wired connection at the time so that i can access the router?

Thanks

Just go to the Wireless setting and delete the existing Key and put one in of your own. Remember it can be up to 63 ASCII characters long, which means you can use any character you can type with your keyboard, including lower and upper case. You can do it using wireless, but as soon as you click Apply you will loose the connection and will have to reconnect using the new key. Make sure you keep a record of the new key.

TomD

Useful Utilites