Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Connection to Sky Router Dropping (from Blackberry and Desktop)and

This is a discussion on Wireless Connection to Sky Router Dropping (from Blackberry and Desktop)and within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Ok, got Sky broadband up and running yesterday. Connected Desktop to router (D-Link type) with Ethernet cable. All working fine. ...

andytaylor59uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: leamington spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wireless Connection to Sky Router Dropping (from Blackberry and Desktop)and

Ok, got Sky broadband up and running yesterday. Connected Desktop to router (D-Link type) with Ethernet cable. All working fine. Subsequently tried to set up wireless connection to desktop with no luck. Would not connect. So I changed to WEP security and got it to connect. Desktop will connect on start up but it will drop out after a few minutes and does not automatically reconnect. So far I have changed the channel (having checked other router channels in my area) and changed to WEP security and also updated driver for my wireless adaptor. Also set up connection with my Blackberry Bold 9700, which finds the router and connects to it and then connects as UMA. Then the UMA usually drops of, then the wifi goes and I have nothing, then after a few minutes it reconnects automatically, then it disconnects and reconnects and so on. Thirdly I have connected my Dell laptop. Connected first time and has not dropped out once. Using now to send this!

Any help appreciated. Desperately need blackberry to remain connected so can use UMA function as I work from home and need to call!

Many Thanks

2. Advertisement
      andytaylor59uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: leamington spa
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Connection to Sky Router Dropping (from Blackberry and Desktop)and

OK - I think I have resolved this issue so hopefully anybody else with the same problem will find this solution.

The problem was resolved by getting a different router from Sky.I now have the Sagem one ( Sagem F@ST 2504 Sky V3.1).

Neither my Blackberry Bold 9700 nor a colleagues 9700 nor my wifes Curve 8250 would consistently connect and hold a wifi and UMA connection to the D-Link. It dropped out after 30 secs, reconnected, then dropped etc. Yet they all connected to other peoples wifi networks including other people on non D-Link Sky boxes. So it was clear to me it was the D Link router and not the phone. I also phoned Orange to make sure I had tried everything on the phone side. My first 2 calls to Sky where less the productive and despite trying to adjust all the router and phone settings both myself and on the phone with Sky technician, Sky initially refused to send me a new router. So I called their cancellations department and told them I would cancel as was still within cancellation period and I was not getting the required service or equivalent I had with Orange. After this they put me through to their techs again but this time with a guy who was helpful. After a couple of more trials he agreed it was the router and also agreed it could be the D-Link version and that they should send me a replacement. However he could not request that I was re sent a different model as they are just sent out but as the D-Link is new he ordered me a re-conditioned router as this way he could almost guarantee it would not be a D-Link and probably would be a Net Gear or Sagem.

I got a Sagem today. Set it up and it has connected to my BB Bold no problem and full UMA connection has held ever since!. Result.

So try this if you are struggling. I tried hours and days adjusting settings and searching forums for an answer. I am going to feedback to Sky they can see if they have an issue with the D-Link and UMA phone connections.

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

If your D Link router had a mac address beginning with F07, they are known to have some issues currently. If you send your original router back, Sky are trying to find out whats is causing the problems,

lgrenter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

i too have been having problems with a hp laptop losing its wireless connection but only in the evening! just chexked its MAC and both the WAN and LAN macs start with FO7 (its a new dlink 2640 router). weirdly it connects fine to all other household devices apart from the laptop! do you know if SKY are working on a fix or do i need to contact them about the problem? i have not seen anything mentioned on official sjy sites about any faults so what do i do?

hollah is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

unhappy with sky's response over this.

if you see my previous posts you can see that i too have had issues regarding this and have also spoken to sky about it.

sky refuse to admit that there is a problem with it and have put it down to the "laptop's wireless" for which i have installed x3 routers d'link's now and each one has the same problem.....

each time i am having to explain that there is a problem with the router blah blah blah,,,, then they HAVE to get you to do their checks, reset everything, change channel, move further away from the router, then say someone will call back in upto 72hrs ..They never do, so im back on the phone again, same thing new person, goto do checks...
      im in a vicious circle - im an it engineer fgs ive already done as many effin checks that i can and it's the "Sky's D'Link Router" or firmware that is at fault.

they want to blame the laptop but i refuse to let them fob me off with it as it works fine on my bridged wireless, or on a netgear dg934, or any other router i offer to it.

well if i dont get any answer by the end of today it appears to me that we now have enough of these routers with issues to goto "watchdog"

and that is my next step.

sorry for the rant guys but i hope you all agree it is not on to fob off the general user that will believe what the 1st line support personell tell them. its a good job people like us are a bit more clued up.

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Some of us in first line support are pretty clued up too believe it or not. You'd be amazed how many "IT experts" I speak to regularly who have no clue what a microfilter is.

Here's the thing. Instead of people sitting here whingeing about how stupid we all are, go straight to the contact us section on Sky.com, which is where I send everyone now with regard to complaints or things like using your own router. This goes to customer relations, who are able to pass it on to the people who make company policy.

I spend many a shift having people rant and rave at me for things that are not my fault, or that I cannot control. I have guidelines to follow, believe it or not our wages are abysmal, and our only hope of making ends meet is to get decent quality scores, so you'll find the majority of agents will always do their best to be as polite, friendly and helpful as possible. I know I do.

I had a particularly unpleasant and snobby young lady student the other day, who spoke to me like something she had scraped off her shoe, despite the fact I am almost twice her age. It was something that my department doesn't deal with, but as always, I took responsibility for the issue, let the young lady go, went round 3 departments to resolve her problem and called her back, as I do on a regular basis. Not even a thankyou with any sincerity. Leaves me thinking why do I bother.

Next time you shout at the person who answers the phone, remember they are just employed by a large company and have to earn a living. Most of us have to ring large companies ourselves as users, and I for one always try to treat people with the same attitude and respect I would like myself. You may be surprised to learn that a lot of us don't always like what we have to tell customers. I actually tell people when I agree with them. But I need my job unfortunately.

(Please excuse my minor rant. I havene't had a good week, and it always irks a little on this forum when I see people criticising tier one as though we're all script reading morons.)