Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Help with Isitme's method of using 2 routers

This is a discussion on Help with Isitme's method of using 2 routers within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Thanks, guys, but I can't do anything with the Netgear as I am unable to access the settings to change ...

Claremac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01737
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER115
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Help with Isitme's method of using 2 routers

Thanks, guys, but I can't do anything with the Netgear as I am unable to access the settings to change anything at all. I have tried resetting it but nothing's working, just not able to get the router settings page up at all.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Tried changing the ethernet cable just in case but still not able to access the Netgear IP details.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Try plugging the Netgear into your PC, open a Command prompt and type ipconfig /all hit enter. This will show the default gateway which is the router IP address. Make sure your PC is set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Claremac View Post
      Thanks, guys, but I can't do anything with the Netgear as I am unable to access the settings to change anything at all. I have tried resetting it but nothing's working, just not able to get the router settings page up at all.
      Which address are you trying? ipconfig should work, as Isitme says - the router will be on 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.

Thanks

Hi, to answer the questions first - my PC is set to obtain IP addresses automatically and I have been trying both 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1.

I ran the IPConfig/all and the default gateway is shown as 0.0.0.0! I assume I should be looking under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection? I have tried 0.0.0.0 in the browser but, unsurprisingly, it failed. I have checked that the Ethernet Adapter's driver is up-to-date. Can you tell that I am clutching at straws?!

Thanks

Your adapter is not 'seeing' the router, if it were you would see something like this-
      Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c4e7:25ee:7817:6f47%11(Preferred)
      IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2(Preferred)
      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
      DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234886961
      DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-BA-AE-26-00-17-31-7C-BE-28

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
      NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

What do you see when you do an ipconfig with the other router?

The only other thing I can think on is that DHCP is turned off or not working on the router. If this is the case, giving your adapter a manual IP address of 192.168.0.2 and a Default Gateway of 192.168.0.1 should allow you to connect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I am shown as being connected to is Sky but showing as "Skyxxxxx" 2 (Private Network) which is different from before. Also listed in the connections available is the Netgear but that says "The settings saved on the computer for this network do not match the requirements of the network".

I can now access the Sagem router's settings and that seems to be setup as described by Isitme but I can't currently access the Netgear's settings although for a brief spell I could and set that to 192.168.0.254 and disabled DHCP on it.

I think that I am still online through the Sky Sagem router. I suppose that I could test this by switching off the wireless setting on the Sagem but I don't think that this is a good idea given my previous experience.

Please can anyone understand my ramblings and let me know what I can do next?

Thanks

Beginning of my post was cut off. I had explained that I have tried so many different things since I last posted. I have been unable to connect at various stages and couldn't access either router page at one point. I'm now online but confused as to what router I am connected through.

Thanks

You should be able to tell by the SSID. Hover your mouse over the wireless icon in the Tray, it will say something like SKY09002. Look at the label on the bottom of the router and note the SSID, you are connected to the one that corresponds with the Tray figure.

Going further, double click the Tray icon and it should show the 2 connections, one showing Connected, the other Disconnected.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

The tray icon confirms that I am connected via Sky xxxxx 2 (Skyxxxxx) so the 2 routers are not talking to each other. When I unplug the Netgear from the Sagem I remain connected so that also confirms it. I reset the Netgear, switched off the Sagem and tried connecting to the Netgear via the ethernet cable but it wouldn't connect. I could access the router's page so set the IP address to 192.168.0.254 again and disabled DHCP but it then cut off access to the router page.

Another thing was that while I had the 2 routers connected via the ethernet cable I couldn't get online with my kids' laptop which obviously normally connects wirelessly.

I have disconnected the ethernet cable completely and gone back to just wirelessly accessing the Sagem on both laptops. The tray icon is still showing Sky as described above. It's very frustrating as I am hoping that the Netgear would have a better range than the Sagem but am unable to find out.

I am very grateful to you, Tom, for sticking with me this far!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast