Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

'piggyback' N router?

This is a discussion on 'piggyback' N router? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; i go live with sky in the morning and am just plugging in the sky router- they sent me a ...

lgrenter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: 'piggyback' N router?

i go live with sky in the morning and am just plugging in the sky router- they sent me a dlink dsl-2640s. i have logged into the router settingsbut cannot find where i alter the wireless settings named in the above comments. where do i find the option to turn wireless off? where is the option to change the DHCP scope?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If it is the same as the generic Sky firmware and I think it is, the Wireless settings are under the first tab 'Settings'. The DHCP server is under the 'Advanced' tab, then the LAN Settings.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

clapton712 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Thanks

How have you got on?? Is the HH working out as a good wireless piggyback?? I'm just
      Wondering as I was thinking of doing this myself.

Thanks, Ben

Thanks

will let u know how i get on with this tonight clapton, am going live with sky sometime today and will take a look after work. have got a cpl of things to ask later about exactly what to set the ip addresses too on both, as the new sky router already seems to have some of the settings mentioned set! will take a look and post in a bit!

Thanks

can someone just check over if these are what i change according to the previous posts?
      on sky router
      SETUP
      Enable wireless access point - i need to remove the tick from this box?

LAN IP SETUP
      which of these do i change so that the home hub i connect will broadcast from the sky router?
      IP address 192.168.0.1
      IP subnet mask 255.255.255.0

USE ROUTER AS DHCP SERVER - do i remove the tick that is there?

Starting IP address 192.168.0.2
      Ending IP address 192.168.0.254 - are these what the posts mean by DHCP scope?

if so do i leave the starting IP address as it is or do i alter the 2 to a 3 as i was told earlier?

if i leave it as a 2, what do i then change the home hub IP to as the sky will be at 192.168.0.2? do i just make the home hub 192.168.0.3? and if so do i leave the start/end addresses on the sky router as i have stated earlier?

whew! hope someone there can give me a simple what to set guide! its thrown me a bit as the settings on the sky router include what simon posted earlier for me to do!

Thanks

You can disable the wireless on the Sky router by unticking Enable Wireless Access Point.

Leave the IP address (192.168.0.1) and the subnet as they are.

The address you reserve for the Hub does not matter. I prefer giving it the top address in the range so change the Ending IP address to 192.168.0.253. Do not untick Use router as DHCP server.

Go to the Hub and change the LAN IP address to 192.168.0.254. Untick Use as DHCP server. Make sure Enable wireless access point is ticked and that's it.

Connect one of the ethernet ports on the Sky router to one of the ports on the Hub. It does not matter which ports you use.

You should reboot your PC to get it to pick up the new router.

Remember to click Apply for each change you make. I don't know if it is necessary to reboot the Hub for changes to be permanently saved, some routers require this, so it is probably better to reboot the HUB just in case. It is not necessary to reboot the Sky routers.

After you have connected everything up you can access the Hub by typing http://192.168.0.254.
      Last edited by Isitme; 27-09-10 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Added info

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

cant find a setting marked LAN IP in the Home Hub.
      there is a page for IP adress, says.....
      Hub IP address 192.168.1.254
      Netmask 255.255.255.0

DHCP SERVER ENABLED (ON) (OFF)
      Start Address 192.168.1.64
      End 192.168.1.237

I cant seem to find any mention of Lan IP, tried cahnging the HUB IP to 192.168.0.254 but got a warning that i may loose ability to access the hub after change. did it anyway and tried to re-enter by going to 192.168.0.254 but the browser could not find the hub! reset the hub and now back to square one.

Thanks

Hub IP address 192.168.1.254
      That is the one you want to change, there must be some peculiarity about the BT Hub as it does not seem to be using the full address range. Try changing the Hub address to 192.168.0.137. If it accepts that change, change the ending address in the Sky router to 192.168.0.136.
      Set DHCP to OFF in the Hub.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

done and done! set the HH to 192.168.0.137, and all works fine. i was not helping things work by not applying each change as they wwere done, also needed to restart the HH after i finished. it is now connected to the sky dlink router and broadcasting a good super strong N signal around the house with full coverage! only prob i have now is i get the router named as the BT on on my connections, have to go back into its settings and change its name........but this says it will cause everything to log off and will need to re add each device!!! sigh.
      thanks for all the simple advice, currently on first night with sky have speed of around 3.5 mb down with line attenuation slowly getting better. still a way to go to catch up with the 8mb i was getting from bt though!

kcrolla is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ilkeston
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      Doesnt matter which box you plug wired devices into and you can use any ports on either to link them up
      Ifollowed the advice here [thanks] and have a TP Link TL-WR104ND piggybacked with my sky router, which has vastly improved the wireless round the house.
      Just one little niggle. My main W7 pc is hooked up [wired] correctly to the set up & all fine. I have a second XP pc which I use occasionally using remote desktop, which plugs in to the TP Link. I can do the remote thing like that, but then my second, xp machine cannot access the internet. I tried plugging its cable into the sky box, but then I lose the remote desktop connection.
      Anyone know what I can do, apart from a wireless adaptor?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast