Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wi-Fi Connection Problem

This is a discussion on Wi-Fi Connection Problem within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi all I am unable to connect using wifi this has happened today after I downloaded a Mozilla Firefox update. ...

LancashireLass is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: SKY Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Wi-Fi Connection Problem

Hi all

I am unable to connect using wifi this has happened today after I downloaded a Mozilla Firefox update.

I tried to connect via Ethernet and after I was asked for the network key I was able to connect. I took out the cable but wifi was still not connected.

Whilst I am connected via Ethernet a box periodically comes up with 'A network security key is required to connect to Sky*****', Click to enter the key, I do this and enter the key again but wifi does not kick in and the window keeps appearing.

Also, I did have problems with email earlier today, I did post a message then the problems sort of escalated. To recap on the earlier problem in case it is connected.

With Firefox using Sky email I found the response to typing was extraordinary slow in fact all responses on Sky email were slow not just the typing. I switched to GMail and had no problem. I used Explorer and had no problem.

Since connecting with the Ethernet cable I am not experiencing any problems.

Can anyone give me any help please?

2. Advertisement
      dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Wi-Fi Connection Problem

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireLass View Post
      Hi all

Ethernet ...... I was asked for the network key I was able to connect. I took out the cable but wifi was still not connected.

Since connecting with the Ethernet cable I am not experiencing any problems.
      You shouldn't need any 'key' to connect by Ethernet. Can you roll back the Firefox update (use System Restore for example) and see if this solves the problem? If it does then the problem is with Firefox

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sounds like a wireless problem. The only connection to Firefox will be that it's trying to connect to web sites.

Ethernet doesn't need a security key - that's only for wireless connections. It sounds like you have connected your cable without turning off the wireless, so your PC will continue to attempt to connect, which it can't do because the connection has been corrupted somehow.

Try switching off your PC and router then turn on router and PC in that order. Rebooting the router normally fixes wifi glitches, if it persists then a factory reset may be needed.

LancashireLass is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0161
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: SKY Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Thank you both so much for taking the time to help.

Mr Spouse

Done as you say and switched off and on the correct order and as you probably have guessed wifi is back

I had done all that earlier in the day but obviously not in the right order

I am very grateful x

Alas the original problem with Sky email persists

Slow email is now resolved no action by me, perhaps Sky had problems.
      Last edited by LancashireLass; 05-09-10 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Updated info