Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Office help

This is a discussion on Office help within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I apologise for posting this here - not sure where to post it so if the moderators could move this ...

firehawk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Office help

I apologise for posting this here - not sure where to post it so if the moderators could move this to the correct section, it would be appreciated.

This also is not concerning sky broadband specific but for Opal internet for business.

My client is moving offices. They currently have BT broadband and telephone line with them.

The office has BT ADSL and has network ports on the wall which computers plug into, then I guess that gets wired to somewhere upstairs where the router is probably based.

They also have an internal phone system where, people can ring on extension numbers or you can make/do internal calls.

The MD (who is a really nice lady) showed me where "things" are. They seem to have some big box/cabnet where there are alot of cable wires hooking through to somewhere. its like a switch but not so much maybe. I need to investigate.

They also have some panasonic box I think, which deals with the phone system.

The question here is, do you think Opal (or any business internet provider/ADSL provider) can provide the same system and keep the same number?
      Would they be the ones to set the internal phone system correctly?

Secondly, with the "hole in the wall" wiring, where would these ports/sockets be connecting to? Would they somehow all be wired to the router which gives internet access? (they have some electricians coming in this week to look at the place and for me to guide where we need electric sockets but also the network ports in the wall)

sorry for these questions - hope someone can help!

SKY Fibre Optic pro unlimited!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Office setup

I think the first thing you have to determine is who the existing equipment belongs to. Many companies lease their communications equipment from dedicated suppliers. If the existing set up is leased, it may be completely removed by the owner. Most business providers will install their own equipment to your specifications.

Opal, who are owned by TalkTalk, have a useful FAQ which you may find useful.-
      Help & Resources | Phone Lines & Calls | FAQs | Opal

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

thanks.

BT only own the line - thats it. The client owns the "box" which i believe holds the switchboard/phone system

Exchange:
      Thanks

reading the FAQ unfortunately doesnt answer my Q's. ill have to give them a call tomorrow but thought perhaps someone here already knows the workings and system

Thanks

There should be no problem transferring to another Provider and keeping the number. The problem may come when or if you want to leave that provider, they may insist on retaining the number. Sky, TalkTalk and Tiscali do this to my knowledge. I think with Opal you can leave the line rental with BT and engage Opal for calls/broadband only, which would leave you in control of the number..

With regards the broadband, Opal supply a free wireless router which would replace the existing one and be connected to a switch which would supply the various ethernet outlets. If it is being left in place, the existing switch would be connected to the new router. Provided the ethernet plugs are left in place, that should be all that is required.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Office help

thanks for moving the topic and replying.

Opal said that they charge for the wireless router of 30+VAT.
      we wont be using any of BT's equipment, whatever it is. Opal do provide telephone line and said that we would get broadband even cheaper if we go with the phone line option also.

The client has had BT for over 2 years now and I believe they can leave them anytime now, as they are "over" the initial lockdown phase of the contract.

we need to install the ethernet plugs/sockets in the wall which we will do but the question is, where will the ethernet plugs be connected to? would they all be connected to the wireless router?

Thanks

Re: Office help

The ethernet plugs would be connected to the router if you have 4 or less outlets. If you have more than 4, then you will need a switch. The size will depend on how many outlets you require. 4,8 and 16 ports are popular but they do come larger if you require. In an office environment a gigabit switch is probably advisable.-
      5, 8 & 16 Port Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000) Network Switch GS105, GS108, GS116

Have you enquired if the existing switch will be left behind?

Opal said that they charge for the wireless router of 30+VAT
      According to this the router is supplied free-
      Broadband Only | Broadband without line rental from just 15 | Store | Opal

TomD

Useful Utilites