Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Draytek 2820n

This is a discussion on Draytek 2820n within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Gigabit wont help for gaming as 100mb is already 5 times faster than the maximum internet speed of 20mb. Good ...

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Draytek 2820n

Gigabit wont help for gaming as 100mb is already 5 times faster than the maximum internet speed of 20mb. Good QoS on the other hand if you happen to download things whilst gaming (or others do) can improve pings and improve the overall gaming experience.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

yea its a pitty the sky router didnt have qos would of been nice hopefully the fttc upgrades il get a router with qos

rs8866 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01782
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't think everyone is saying don't do it, what they do say is if you do, you run the risk of being disconnected should Sky enforce their T & Cs. No one on the forum should encourage a member to break the T & Cs, it is entirely up to the individual whether they do so.
      the reason why i want to change it is because on this model it has a VOIP and iuse that for phone calls..... If i was to contact sky and ask them if i can use my router would they let me.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

No, as it's in the T&C's that you use theirs - hence people saying you run the risk if you want to use your own
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

but people still use there own they break the terms and conditions but i dont think people care and i dont think sky would cut them off because they would loose a customer lol

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I doubt if Sky would worry about loosing a few customers if they really wanted to enforce the T & Cs. They would not have to cut off everyone using their own router, the news that they were cutting people off would soon spread and many would revert to the Sky router.

In saying that I think Sky included this clause originally because they expected many new users to join. Supplying a ready set up router makes things much simpler, both for the user and Support. The amount of posts in the forum from people trying to use other routers, without the knowledge to set them up properly, proves they were right in this respect. Unfortunately the method they chose to allocate usernames and passwords make it very difficult for them to change course now.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

yea true isitme i mean i can sorta see why sky done this buy blocking the username and password from there users and also simplifying things where you just plug it in and your ready to go but not everyone will say the sky router is the best as its simply a heep of junk i mean i would of liked to of been able to change every setting in my router and here i cant some settings are blocked or not there like the user name and password etc i should be allowed to use any router i want. i mean before i joined sky i was with bt for a while i know im bad lol and i used any router and never had any problems with changing it . and yet sky make it difficult

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12