Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Basic question - 2nd PC

This is a discussion on Basic question - 2nd PC within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hello all, I have read lots of posts about people wishing to network computers and share adsl lines, which is ...

shroud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Basic question - 2nd PC

Hello all,

I have read lots of posts about people wishing to network computers and share adsl lines, which is what i may want eventually, but at present my son will be getting his own PC and wanted to know whether if i connected it to the telephone socket in his room through a second modem, will this allow him to access my Sky broadline adsl line (assuming i copy the same settings from my PC)?

I don't really feel the need for both pc's to use the internet concurrently for the moment, so networking isn't required i hope, nor do i wish to have the extra expense of a wireless router at this stage.

Many thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      gillymunch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Basic question - 2nd PC

I'm presuming you are on sky from your isp at the top, in which case you will have the sky router which is wireless enabled already, so you would either have to connect to it to the sky router using wireless (cheap cards/usb dongles are available for this) or run an ethernet cable from the second computer to where the router is.

If your ISP is wrong or for some reason you don't have the router then your best bet would still to be get a router/wireless router as you would not be able to have two adsl modems running on the line at the same time.

Exchange:
      Thanks

You are correct i am on SKY unlimited, and have a black Sagem modem/router?

I assume that this unit isn't great (comments about dropping connection), and if i wanted the 2nd PC to access it wirelessly, then i should get a better quality ADSL wireless modem/router?

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

There are no settings on your pc that will help your son get online with another modem. All you need to do is either set him up on wireless, get a long ethernet and run that instead of a second tel line up to his room or use homeplugs. Do not move the router from the main socket or you could see issues on the connection if there are any problems with the extension line.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks.

It sounds as though i should set the 2nd pc up with a wireless connection to the sagem router/modem that is currently wired to my other pc. Extending a long ethernet cable up to the bedroom would be a fairly major PITA to do well.

Assuming the sagem that came with the Sky pack is adequate for the job?, what would be the most suitable USB adapter to use for the 2nd PC? Is a Netgear WG111 the kind of thing that would do the job?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You could use the money and buy a couple of homeplugs instead, much better connection with no wireless interference problems. Just like running in a wire but without the PITA bit

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shroud View Post
      I assume that this unit isn't great (comments about dropping connection), and if i wanted the 2nd PC to access it wirelessly, then i should get a better quality ADSL wireless modem/router?
      I have used the Sagem router for ages and had very little trouble with it on Sky or none on o2 who I am with now. If the wireless is dropping a lot, then you could try changing the wireless channel.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      You could use the money and buy a couple of homeplugs instead, much better connection with no wireless interference problems. Just like running in a wire but without the PITA bit
      Every now and then you get introduced to something that you wasn't aware existed. These seem like a very cost effective and easy option installation.

My only question remaining is whether the Sagem modem supplied with my Sky broadband would have also been a router, in which case i just need two home plugs and a ethernet connector on the 2nd PC?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

My only question remaining is whether the Sagem modem supplied with my Sky broadband would have also been a router, in which case i just need two home plugs and a ethernet connector on the 2nd PC?
      Correct. The machine you have from Sky is a combined modem router and switch.

Most new PCs come with a built in network adapter. All you need is the Homeplugs and possibly a network cable to connect from the plug to the PC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.