Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cant get WNR854T working with DG834GT

This is a discussion on Cant get WNR854T working with DG834GT within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I've had trouble with the speed of my wired connection between my NAS (ReadyNAS) and Streamer (EVA8000) through my DG834GT. ...

webbm00 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Cant get WNR854T working with DG834GT

I've had trouble with the speed of my wired connection between my NAS (ReadyNAS) and Streamer (EVA8000) through my DG834GT. It wont play 1080p files and keeps buffering them. I've tried playing the files directly to the streamer on a memory stick and they play ok so I believe it is the network performance.

I've connected a laptop to the streamer LAN connection and get 7.56MB per sec read between it and my NAS but I'm not sure if this is fast enough?

I've bought a WNR854T and connected it as a secondary router to the DG834GT modem router as specified in this posting (the red post half way down) but it's not working.

If I connect to PC to the DG834GT (wired connection) and look at the attched devices I see a new entry 192.168.0.4 which I believe is the WNR854T but I can't connect to 192.168.0.254 as specified in the post to configure the WNR854T.

If I connect the PC to the WNR854T (wired connection) I can not get any connection to the internet, to the other devices on the DG834T, or the setup of the WNR854T by either 192.168.0.4 or 192.168.0.254.

My only option for recovering is to press the restore factory defaults to the WNR854T but this doesn't get me an extra router in my setup. I assume it is a setting related issue in the WNR854T as I thought I would see it as 192.168.0.254 in the DG834GT attached devices but as I know little about router setup I can't work it out. Help me please!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Cant get WNR854T working with DG834GT

I've had trouble with the speed of my wired connection between my NAS (ReadyNAS) and Streamer (EVA8000) through my DG834GT. It wont play 1080p files and keeps buffering them
      I doubt if it is the router that is at fault. It has a rating of 100MB/s and although you will not get that, it should be pretty close. More than enough to handle HD content.

If I connect to PC to the DG834GT (wired connection) and look at the attched devices I see a new entry 192.168.0.4 which I believe is the WNR854T
      Did you connect the WNR to a PC and change its address to 192.168.0.254? That is in the LAN IP Setup not the Basic settings page. Also disable DHCP in this page. As you are connecting it to another router and not the Internet, you can ignore the basic settings page.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Did you connect the WNR to a PC and change its address to 192.168.0.254? That is in the LAN IP Setup not the Basic settings page. Also disable DHCP in this page. As you are connecting it to another router and not the Internet, you can ignore the basic settings page.
      So I've reset the WNR854T back to factory settings and only changed the IP address (in the LAN TCP/IP Setup) to 192.168.0.254 and unticked the DHCP server. After applying the settings the PC connected to the WNR854T says the connection has limited or no connectivity. I've then rebooted the DG834GT, the WNR854T, and the PC in that order.

The DG834GT doesn't have any device that could be the WNR854T in it's attached devices list. (the 192.168.0.4 in the last post wasn't it and was a wireless connected device). The PC connected to the WNR854T can not connect to anything as it says that the connection has limited or no connectivity. It wont ping 192.168.0.254 or 192.168.0.1.

Ideas?

Thanks

Try this - On the device you have connected to the WRN, open the network properties, Highlight Internet Protocol V4 (TCP/IP) and click the properties button. Click the radio button for Use this IP address and enter-
      IP address...........192.168.0.10.
      Subnet..................255.255.255.0
      Gateway................192.168.0.1

Preffered DNS Server.. 192.168.0.1.
      Leave the other blank.

If you are connected by ethernet between the 2 routers, I don't know why the WRN is not appearing in the Attached Device list. Make sure DHCP is turned off in the WRN.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Try this - On the device you have connected to the WRN, open the network properties, Highlight Internet Protocol V4 (TCP/IP) and click the properties button. Click the radio button for Use this IP address and enter-
      IP address...........192.168.0.10.
      Subnet..................255.255.255.0
      Gateway................192.168.0.1

Preffered DNS Server.. 192.168.0.1.
      Leave the other blank.
      I can now see the router setup on 192.168.0.254. Still can't connect to the internet or see 192.168.0.1

If you are connected by ethernet between the 2 routers, I don't know why the WRN is not appearing in the Attached Device list. Make sure DHCP is turned off in the WRN.
      DHCP is definatly switched off. I will check the setup of the DG834GT to see if there is anything strange about its setup

Exchange:
      Thanks

Solved it!

Went back to first principles and thought what could be stopping the DG834GT seeing the WNR854T if the setup was all ok. So I changed the cable between them and it all sprang into life!

Thanks for your help.

Thanks

Is your NAS performing any better?

TomD

Useful Utilites