Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Is my router broken?

This is a discussion on Is my router broken? within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I recently got Be broadband and was in the middle of switching the routers over when I realised that I ...

tech3475 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Is my router broken?

I recently got Be broadband and was in the middle of switching the routers over when I realised that I could use it for a switch or put cfw on it.

However, when I plugged it back in to the mains, it only has the 4 ethernet ports rapidly flashing, no power or "tick" LED.

Is my router broken or is there a fix? Is it possible to open the router as well?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Is my router broken?

Did you try to flash the router? If so you might have bricked it. If this is the case you will have to get it back into 'flashing mode' and try the flash again. To get it into flashing mode, unplug the power, hold in the reset button and still holding it in, switch the power back on until the power light and tick flash alternately.

You can open the router, but what would you do, apart from look at it. Messing about with the inside of a router needs special skills, if you don't have them, don't even bother opening it.

I have moved this from the Sky Router section as it is not really a Sky problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

ok thanks, Ill give that a go.

Thanks

You might need to use the Netgear Recovery tool, available from here-
      Answer

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It doesnt go into recovery mode even when I use a different (compatible) PSU. It seems to be the thing s buggered, besides it was working when flashed to the 834g v3 firmware.

Is there a fuse or something inside the unit which can be changed or am I stuck with a brick?

If its buggered is there anything I can do with it besides send it to the tip (where its recycled).
      Last edited by tech3475; 09-12-09 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks

It looks like it is bricked. There will be a fuse inside, but if it has blown then something more serious has caused it to blow. The DG834GT has a mini PCI wireless card inside which would work in a laptop with a mini PCI slot, I don't know if the V2 models are the same.

TomD

Useful Utilites