Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

sagem router wireless speed

This is a discussion on sagem router wireless speed within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi guys, I live really close the the exchange and get a solid 20mbit no probs, my issue that i ...

anarchyuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

sagem router wireless speed

Hi guys,

I live really close the the exchange and get a solid 20mbit no probs, my issue that i have tried to explain to sky tech support on numerous occasions with no luck is the wireless will only work unto 1300kb/s untill i moved to this new address i did actually connected the exchange at 13mbit so 1300kb/s was normal for me, this speed happens from my desktop using a broadcom pci card on windows, osx and linux, it is the same on my acer aspire one with linux installed and even happens when xferring files from one computer to another! I have tried to explian to sky but they keep on making me do speed tests when every time i have explianed if I plug in the ethernet cable i get 2000kb/s + i wouldnt mind the issue of having the router via ethernet in this room with the pc but i need it near my xbox 360 in the other room!

Its really frustrating, i have reset the router, changed wireless channels! a 54 router should easy go faster than 13mbit.

Anyone else have this issue?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: sagem router wireless speed

Many people have found the Sagem wireless to be poor but you have to remember that wireless is not a great way of transfering data and will only get worse as more and more wireless equipment starts to flood the airwaves. Many things can affect the speed from another wireless router in range to failing power supplies on most electrical items.

The best soloution would be either to run in the ethernet or if you do not want the wires to buy a couple of homeplugs.

neilmcl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sherwood
      Broadband ISP: O2 Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Have you tried setting the wireless mode to 802.11g only, both on the router side and the wireless adapter.

Exchange:
      Thanks

@smithy, yeah a appreciate what your saying and your probably right but my netgear wlan router works at 3x that speed...

@neilmcl. i have tried putting it into 54g performance mode on the router config page and on the wlan card config but its still the same,

i might do the piggy backing thing people talk about! It just seems like a 54g router only working at under a 3rd of the speed is really poor performance, i know 54mbit is asking far to much but all im asking for is 20 lol

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

54mbps is a theoretical speed, in practise you would be lucky to get half that. The Sagem is probably the poorest wireless performing router supplied by Sky. Even then some find it works quite well. Unfortunately with your very high internet speed you are seeing the worst side of it. If you have changed the Mode to 'g only' and checked the channels there is not much else you can do, except piggyback a better performer on to it, or break the T & Cs by using a better router to connect to the internet, as many do with impunity.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      54mbps is a theoretical speed, in practise you would be lucky to get half that. The Sagem is probably the poorest wireless performing router supplied by Sky. Even then some find it works quite well. Unfortunately with your very high internet speed you are seeing the worst side of it. If you have changed the Mode to 'g only' and checked the channels there is not much else you can do, except piggyback a better performer on to it, or break the T & Cs by using a better router to connect to the internet, as many do with impunity.

yeah ive thought about the router change, and tbh the breaking the terms does not bother me in the slightest its not like i would be getting anything im not supposed to. well thanks for all your replies chaps!! if anyone of u ever go on filezoneworld.com say hi!!