Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Uk Online Problems

This is a discussion on Uk Online Problems within the Asking for help forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hello im very sorry for coming on a sky forum but there is no Uk online one and i heard ...

BamJam2 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Uk Online Problems

Hello im very sorry for coming on a sky forum but there is no Uk online one and i heard Sky purchased this company so i was hoping i could ask a few questions,im hoping sky and uk online may have some of the the same policies.Anyway,i have ordered Uk online and switching from eclipse as we speak,Should be Monday or Tuesday when it's fully completed.I can't get any of the broadbands i wanted in my area ie O2,Be or sky since my exchange is still run by BT.So it was only sky connect,O2 access.Sky had a small download limit and O2 access had bad reviews compared to their own bundle.

So i decided to go with the Uk online 8mb pro package for 19.99 a month.I switched from eclipse because of the awful peak time download limit 20gb and the dreadful slow downs.Reading the uk online FUP it does not state what the limit is and they will decide what constitutes as too much.Would this be around the same as what Sky considers too much bandwidth in their unlimited packages or are they completely seperate? I asked via email,but did not get a reply for over a week and still haven't so decided just to risk signing up.On average between two computers and a laptop we probably go through 50 to 70gb a month both peak and off peak.The highest we have ever had was 150gb peak and off peak over a month.Is this fine for the FUP? If sky has no say in uk online i guess this whole post means nothing though

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Uk Online and Sky

Sky bought UKOnline? 150Gb per month is a little excessive for standard usage to be honest.

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

AFAIK Easynet bought/Merged with Ukonline back in 1996.
      Sky then bought Easynet in 2005, to gain a foothold in the LLU market, as Easynet were well on the way in that respect by then.

For LLU services they share the same equiptment in exchange, but this is changing http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...sky-msans.html
      Also the backhaul from exchange is shared - but from there on the similarites end.
      http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/uko...questions.html
      The 2 companies are entirely seperate entities for all intents and purposes for the consumer.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If your exchange has no LLU are you sure you have not bought a re-badged BT product, the same as you had previously?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes it is rebadged i think ie BT handle the exchange as uk online are not in my area.The only reason i signed up to uk online is because it said it was unlimited and the FUP gave no specific number.Right now with eclipse if i go over 20gb during peak times they slow my internet down to 256k until i have paid the next bill.I easily go over that watching iplayer and google video themselves.Most of the monthly usage is from off peak times.Are you saying i will get the same sort of service with ukonline?

Thankyou

Thanks

I am not sure, but I don't think you will get unlimited on any re-badged BT product for 19.99. It may be unlimited off-peak, but I think peak will be limited. With Plusnet for instance some of the packages only count Peak, the rest is unlimited.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry for another question,but i would like to know if people with sky connect ie through BT have had the same problems i am having except i am obviously with uk online.Its been 7 days now since my line was activated and my connection has been terrible,my router is setup the way it should be .I emailed uk online and they said it takes 10 days to check the line speeds and find out min/average but this is awful! i have already paid my 19.99 so im a bit peeved i have had a week of terrible speeds.My line has a max of 8mbit so i should be able to get around 6 or 7mbit with my broadband,i live around 1km from the exchange.Here is a speedtest result. http://www.speedtest.net/result/538353818.png Is this normal? the ping has been as high as 300ms alot of the time so this was a good day.I don't know whether to phone today or wait another three,very bad start to the service thats for sure.

Thankyou,and again apologies.I know this is a sky forum

Thanks

Although they say it will take 10 days, normally your line is settled long before that. If you post your stats from your router. As you do not have a Sky router, go here for details on how to obtain your them for your particular router.- ::. Kitz - Get your adsl line stats .::

You should also go to Test Result and do the Performance test. For this you will have to enter your phone number and your ADSL login username.

Post both results here and we will see what we can do.

I have moved your posts to the Asking for help section as this does not concern Sky Broadband.
      Last edited by Isitme; 12-08-09 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Moved post

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Uk Online Problems

Okay well my internet speed increased a tiny amount,staying up late trying to fix it.Hopefully you can help me in the morning with this information.I tried plugging into my master socket and that didn't help i read it would single out something wrong with my phone line.Anyway here is my speed test i madehttp://www.speedtest.net/result/538664396.png Here are my router stats http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/406/routerh.jpg and this is the other test.

Your DSL connection rate: 8096 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 7000 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1278 kbps

All of these i had excellent signal strength from my wifi.

Okay,im still up. No one else probably is but i thought best to update.I have been googling till early hours in the morning as my family really needs a fast connection,they have had to go to public library a few times while i try and get it fixed.But i 100% think its a problem with uk online now,my internet seemed faster while searching so i tried another speed test http://www.speedtest.net/result/538724227.png this only happened around 20 minutes ago though,all day i was hovering around 0.5mbit range.Still not the 6mbit i used to get but im not complaining right now.Anyway im off to bed,hopefully the connection won't revert back to being dreadful when i wake up!

Cheers
      Last edited by BamJam2; 13-08-09 at 02:14 AM.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast